Malus Domestica: Repotting and styling advice

Kidkidsupreme

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi all,

This is my first post here. I managed to buy this Malus Domestica for just €20,- through a Dutch webshop (happy to share a link if it's allowed). As this is my first pre-bonsai to bonsai project, I seek for some advice.

Attached you can find two pictures of what I could consider the front of the tree.

Video with 360 degrees of tree:

Personally, I like the "hollow" trunk the most, but the branches above might lean too much forward from this position. (IMG_4039.jpg)

1. Which front would be the best and which branches should I remove? (See attached or video)
  2. Furthermore, I plan to repot it this week into a substrate mix of akadama, lava granulate and crushed pumice (all 1/3rd). Is this a good mix?
  3. For pruning: My plan is to start removing branches in the spring. There are already some buds popping as I'm keeping it under indoor growing lights for now. It's freezing (-4 C) out here. Or should I just prune this week while repotting?

All advice is appreciated.

Regards!

Attachments

• IMG_4040.jpg
    IMG_4040.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_4039.jpg
    IMG_4039.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 26

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Holler your intentions to the sky, the Gods of the Tiny Forest will gauge your integrity. The Woody Dwarves extend their branches in welcome!

Pleasure to make your acquaintance!

I’m with Sorce about trying to “get out ahead” of that taper.. my move would look similar.. except that I would also “prune off” those branches up and left of that crotch.

🤓

Top Bottom