MALUS i.d.

Random Usr

Chumono
Reaction score
Here is a tree that I have admired for a long time and I finally decided to take a few cuttings … and cross my fingers. I've never seen it produce any fruit, though I'm convinced it's a crab apple. But which one exactly?

Apple Mariedals-Kronborgs 01.JPG

Apple Mariedals-Kronborgs 04.jpg

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
That is going to be a tricky ID. There are over 50 Species and hundreds of Cultivars. I would start by contacting someone there and find out what the common "street species" are and break it down by color of bark, leaf, and then flower. Many have such small fruit you never notice it being about 1/4 inch. Knowing that would certainly help as well. This link has a decent collection of them and might be of some use as well - http://www.cirrusimage.com/trees_Rosaceae.htm

Grimmy

Random Usr

Chumono
Reaction score
That is going to be a tricky ID. There are over 50 Species and hundreds of Cultivars. I would start by contacting someone there and find out what the common "street species" are and break it down by color of bark, leaf, and then flower. Many have such small fruit you never notice it being about 1/4 inch. Knowing that would certainly help as well. This link has a decent collection of them and might be of some use as well - http://www.cirrusimage.com/trees_Rosaceae.htm

Grimmy

Great Caesar's Ghost! That “American Masterpiece” is a hum-dinger!!!
anim_bulging_eyes.gif

Thank you for that link, Grimmy! I can see that you are right. The best that can be done is compare the features you mentioned and call it good enough for government work. I'm sure I'm wasting everybody’s time trying to nail it down any closer than that. So just tell me that I made a beautiful choice and wish me luck! If the cuttings root I will thread-graft them onto a thick-trunked edible apple stock and see if I can make a nice bonsai out of it.

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Good luck for the cuttings but crab apples are hard to propagate like that.
I read that on Brent website, I tried last year nonetheless because I really love crab apples, no one worked.
However - more or less without any hope but as s sort of 'why not' try - I planted a little 'apple' in a pot and this worked like a charm, I have now a 1 year old baby crap apple.

Otherwise: can't you ask to the owner if it will be ok to air layer a branch?

klosi

Shohin
Reaction score
I think we here, among our tall flats, have the same tree. Not sure. It's amazingly beautifull (like Japan springs you see images of) when it blooms. I'm also trying to get it in a pot :) Not yet sure how I will do that. (mabye I'll try to airlayer it, have to contact managers)

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If you have any other crabapples, or maybe even apple trees, you might try grafting a few buds and growing those on your own tree. Then you could air layer them. Or ask if you can air layer a branch off of the specimen.
CW

Random Usr

Chumono
Reaction score
Good luck for the cuttings but crab apples are hard to propagate like that.

I'm also trying to get it in a pot :) Not yet sure how I will do that. (mabye I'll try to airlayer it, have to contact managers)

Air layer a ready made tree

I've been very busy the last few weeks. I cut some plastic, soft drink bottles in half, and filled the bottom with a mix of 2/3 cat sand, 1/3 fine sieved organic soil. I took cuttings from Crab apple, Hawthorn, Cherry, Almond, and Parrotia persica. I left them overnight in willow water. I then dipped them in rooting hormone and then into the cat sand/soil mix, watered them thoroughly, cello-taped the bottles up again, sprayed a good mist through the top, and screwed on the cap.

Five of the 6 almonds are already showing signs of green, as is one of the 3 parrotia pesica, and one of the 6 cherry. I hope they will take root. So far none of the 3 hawthorn or the 6 crab apple have shown any development but they were the last to be prepared – only one week ago.

P6160012.JPG

Random Usr

Chumono
Reaction score
If you have any other crabapples, or maybe even apple trees, you might try grafting a few buds and growing those on your own tree. Then you could air layer them. Or ask if you can air layer a branch off of the specimen.
CW

The object is to thread-graft the crab apple onto my thick-trunked, standard apple yamadori. I tried top grafting it last spring but it failed. I might try again soon and/or in the spring again, but much depends upon the success of these cuttings.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
So just tell me that I made a beautiful choice and wish me luck!

Now it is just waiting, do not be surprised if you do not see them responding until Spring. I have struck hardwood cuttings after leaf drop in late fall early winter. I then just left them outside wind protected and tossed a small amount of water in once in awhile. Kind of cool when they come to life in Spring and actually have ok root... Hope all goes well for you!

Grimmy

Random Usr

Chumono
Reaction score
Yes, waiting is the most difficult part. Thank God I have several projects going on (and the trip to Noelanders) to keep my mind off of the crab apple. And Spring is always the most exicting time of the year for a Bonsaist. Thanks for your well wishes!
bye-smiley-emoticon.gif

Top Bottom