Malus 'Oekonomierat Ectermeyer'

iant

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Update on a crab I purchased as a seedling in 2012 from EG.
I'm trying to pay more attention to it and I think the ramification is a lot better since 2018.
Best,
Ian

1 year after purchase:
Malus'OekonomieratEchtermeyer' March 2013.jpg
Next year I barerooted it:
2014:
Malus'OekonomieratEchtermeyer' Feb 2014 roots.jpgMalus'OekonomieratEchtermeyer' Feb 2014.jpg

2018 looking a little more grown up:

Malus'OekonomieratEchtermeyer' Feb 2018.jpg

2021 last month wiring. Sorry the backgrounds are all cluttered and hard to see well....

Malus'OekonomieratEchtermeyer' Feb 2021 1.jpgMalus'OekonomieratEchtermeyer' Feb 2021 2.jpg

Okay... and now for the show.
Looking nice this year!

Slant view.jpg
Upright left.jpg
Upright right.jpg

And now flowers getting a little older, and whiter, and more leaves:

slant view 1 wk later.jpg

-Ian

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
How hard did you prune the roots when you first got it? Very nice
Share in the fall with some apples left on it.

iant

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
A year after I got it, I pruned the roots hard, like you see in the photo. The white stuff under the trunk base was root hormone by the way.
But since then I've been lazy and have potted it up every couple years without pruning much. I need to rework the roots soon...
I'll post a fall pic. The apples are about 3/4 to 1 inch and red. Taste pretty horrible though!
Ian

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
A year after I got it, I pruned the roots hard, like you see in the photo. The white stuff under the trunk base was root hormone by the way.
But since then I've been lazy and have potted it up every couple years without pruning much. I need to rework the roots soon...
I'll post a fall pic. The apples are about 3/4 to 1 inch and red. Taste pretty horrible though!
Ian
Yeah I got a few crabs but repotted in bonsai soil and trimmed the roots just last night. I didn’t wait a year to do it though. No touchy roots next year for me though I’ll be pruning.

Top Bottom