Malus & Prunus Mahaleb

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I like them, esp. malus. I don't want to sound like "I know it all", your prunus looks like something from prunus genus, but not P. mahaleb to me. Does it come from Danny Ginkgo Center?

SupathaiflY

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like them, esp. malus. I don't want to sound like "I know it all", your prunus looks like something from prunus genus, but not P. mahaleb to me. Does it come from Danny Ginkgo Center?
Hi Peter,
Yes, I bought it at gingko Center Laarne. Danny sold it to me as a mahaleb, imported from Spain.
I don't have the knowledge myself to determine wether this is correct or not, I took his word for it.

At this point, I did not get flower or sign of fruit.
What should make you think that it is not a mahaleb? Curious :)

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hi Peter,
Yes, I bought it at gingko Center Laarne. Danny sold it to me as a mahaleb, imported from Spain.
I don't have the knowledge myself to determine wether this is correct or not, I took his word for it.

At this point, I did not get flower or sign of fruit.
What should make you think that it is not a mahaleb? Curious :)
A leaf shape. I know P. mahaleb has few subspecies or maybe more, I am familiar with two of them, P.M. mahaleb and P.M. simonkaii, the second one has a wonderful cracking bark going from qreyish-black to almost silver... Collected mine with a certified pro gardener from a little bit neglected school tennis court.:D

SupathaiflY

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
... adding a picture of leaves.
Thanks Peter, not the same species for sure...
I'm surely gonna ask Danny his opinion on this one next time.

I've been looking a possible candidate but was unable to find one.
The bark has a silver/grey color, new growth is green/brown.

Danny Tuckey

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
? I keep thinking you're mentioning me.

But then I realise and I start to cry (but on my tree's so at least something benefits) ?

SupathaiflY

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Update:
20180604_201602.jpg

The tree is growing at a fast rate.
20180604_201614.jpg
As a rooky I'm unsure of the actions that I need to take so advice is more than welcome.
Do I need to cut back the new growth or just let it grow? Plan with this tree is to add some more volume.

Also, during the day the tree is full of ants. I also had some plant-louse. Quiet some leaves got eaten. Does this affect the tree or the future evolution?
I spray the leaves for the louse, what should I do against the ants? Or do I just let them be?
20180604_201633.jpg

The prunus also has some affected leaves but not as bad as the malus.

Attachments

• 20180604_201726.jpg
    20180604_201726.jpg
    579.1 KB · Views: 10
Top Bottom