Malus sylvestris 01

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I think I would move to another location with less chance of leaf burn having it not exposed to the hottest part of the day's sun. Or offer a shade cloth...I think many would enjoy this if it was shown. Good luck to you.

Evan

Seedling
Reaction score
What a lovely tree! Great image too. This is one you ought to keep for sure. I bet you've got a strong relation to it. Ever think of selling your kid?! I know, it's not funny, but hey, my trees are like my kids!
Really, it's always hard to part with trees in any way, for any reason. Id' be interested but I know it's not going to make it to the states. Good luck if you do sell it, just screen the buyer!

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@AlainK It was 85 F here yesterday (29.44444444444444444444444444 C) zone 5 :)

But we really have a shitty spring this year ;)

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Ever think of selling your kid?!

Ah.

Sometimes I wish I never had kids. There's a French saying sthg like: "Little children, little trouble, big children, ..."

Tomorrow, I'm going to my "bonsai club", and I'll give away some of my trees: not selling them away, just giving them to someone who can take care of them, better than me.

Kids or trees, metaphor or experience, it's just that I'm trying my best, but one has to live a life of their own some day, because I love them ;)

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Wow!........

OK, Illinois climate must be continental, with cold winters and hot summers, but to me who has never been across the pond, I imagined that spring was much colder than that.

Yep, totally continental but with a big lake's influence (one must admit that it's a freaking big lake!). I guess you could compare the climate to Clermont-Ferrand but with several months of cold and several months of heat instead of several weeks (and wind, a lot of wind, and humidity, always due to the lake).

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I guess you could compare the climate to Clermont-Ferrand

Though I spent my early years in Murat, then in Aurillac until my parents went to the Loiret when I was 6, I learned a little about Clermont later.

Her name was Marie-Madeleine, she was a very nice person, but I'm afraid I was already a complete as*ho*le... :eek:

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Though I spent my early years in Murat, then in Aurillac until my parents went to the Loiret when I was 6, I learned a little about Clermont later.

Her name was Marie-Madeleine, she was a very nice person, but I'm afraid I was already a complete as*ho*le... :eek:

I spent 1 year in Clermont for my master. At this time I wasn't into bonsai at all and now I'm very nostalgic of the tons of pouzzolane I could have collected just by shoveling around during the week-end... :(

Evan

Seedling
Reaction score
AlainK- I hope you know I was completely joking about the selling your kid thing! It struck me as a funny thing since people ask me all the time if I have children and I tell them I have bonsai trees. They all sort of respond with a "turned head look" like a dog. It just shows you what a passion I have for my trees and the family they are too me. It saddens me to hear of anyone parting with something that means so much to them.
With that said, sometimes passing things on to someone else can be a great way of letting go in a positive way.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks like it is not developing to your eyes. but they are deceiving. It is coming forward alright.

Still no flowers?

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Still no flowers?

No, but I already fed it with "autumn fertilizer" for fruit trees.

I have other "wild apple" trees in my garden : when in the ground, they take about 10-12 years to flower. When potted, I think it will take evn longer.

I also have a wild pear in the back of my garden, it was first in a "tomato pot" for a couple of years, was put into the ground about 20 years ago and it has never flowered. Next to it, I have another "forest maple" that finally flowered two years ago, but it's nothing like other species.

For instance, I have Malus 'Van Eseltine' that I grew from seeds and one of them flowered in its 3rd spring.

Shall I put it back into a field, or grow-box ? I'm wondering.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Not really developing as I would have liked, especially this year which was very hot and dry, no good for apple trees, but I still like it :

View attachment 332058

Even though you are not happy, this is still a nice tree, and it has something that young material does not, it has visible signs of age. Nice. Keep it going. It has its flaws, but it is too old to just dump. It does have its positive traits. I've keep it pretty much as you have been.

Top Bottom