Mama bonsai does it out grow pot ?

Pixar

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
My question does a Mama bonsai ever outgrow the mama pot it planted in ?
or does trimming control the growth rate and does it stay the same size from the rest of it’s lifetime

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I have not heard of Mama bonsai. Do you mean Mame?

All trees put on layers of new wood every season. If they grow a lot the layers are thicker. If they don't grow much layers are thin. Mame bonsai that are carefully controlled thicken very slowly so they can have the same pot for many years. Eventually the trunk will get too thick to look good in the original pot and it will need a larger pot.
Some species thicken quicker than others, even when growth is restricted. My ficus rubiginosa just grow fatter every year despite careful and regular trimming. A couple I started as shohin size have had to have pots upsized twice in 30 years.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Just be warned that as pots get smaller it becomes exponentially more difficult to keep trees alive. Tiny pots dry out in just a few hours in hot summer. You really need to master watering and soil mix before you can eb successful with tiny pots.
Mine do far better now when I repot annually. Second year going into spring/summer a small pot will already be full of roots which means no spaces for water in the pot = dehydration in shorter time.
Good luck with the tiny pots.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You really need to master watering and soil mix before you can eb successful with tiny pots.

You have officially won the award for shortest spell of dyslexia ever!

Sorce

Top Bottom