for discussions or questions please use this thread:

https://bonsainut.com/threads/mame-contest-idea.27643/
---------------------------------------------

Entry's can be posted from:

20-05-2017 untill 20-08-2017

Number of entry's
Maximum of 3 entry's per person.

Allowed matterial:
It realy doesnt matter where your matterial comes from could be boxstore, airlayer, collection or anything else you got growing around in your garden as long as it isnt already a mame or prestyled to be

How does the contest work?:

The contest is made out of three parts:

Part one:
the search for material.
3 months
(20-05-2017 -- 20-08-2017)

Part two:

prepare it and get it in the mame sized pot.
1 year and 3 months
(20-08-2017 -- 20-11-2018)

Part three:

keep it alive and devellop the mame tree.
2 year and 3 months
(20-11-2018 -- 20-02-2020)

Total Contest length:

3 years and 9 month's
Start: 20-05-2017
End : 20-02-2020

Tree size:
Mame size is 3" to 6"
measured from the rim pot to top of the tree

Pot size:
Maximum of 4.5 inches in length across the front viewing side.

Updates/voting:

Like to vote

When the entry date is passed two weeks to vote for the best entry to get a winner for part one.

There will be a opened update thread for the end of contest part two on 20-11-2018 to show the mames in their pots and again vote by likes to get a winner out of part two

End of contest 20-02-2020
Post a progression from your mame with at least 6 pics from start till end allong with 1 picture with the height measured
And again like to vote for the best progression and result to get a winner for part three

Good luck but more important have fun !

Reaction score
Here's my three mame projects so far. I may end up changing one out if it fails before the deadline.

First: Creeping fig. From a Lowe's 1 gallon container, originally 2' tall. Potted in straight lava in a no-name pot from Goodwill that had a silk plant/tree plastered in. Aiming for an informal upright.

pumila.JPG

Second: Torch Glow Bougainvillea. From a Lowe's 1 gallon container. Foliage and roots reduced into a 4"pot of straight lava to produce tighter roots nearer the trunk. Eventually will be potted in an unglazed Chinese hexagon cascade pot. Aiming for a semi/cascade.

B1.jpg
B2.JPG

Third: Too Little Ficus benjimina. Cuttings from the mother plant originally sourced from Yamaguchi Bonsai Nursery in LA. Rooted directly into the glazed asymmetrical pot with a wall of foil built up and wrapped to promote an exposed root structure in the David Fukumoto style. Aiming for a banyan.

MB1.JPG
MB2.JPG

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Here's my entry. I'm going to live dangerously and sink or swim with this one plant.

Pokomoke crape myrtle. I chose this because it handles drastic root reductions well. My plan is to be ruthless with it very soon.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Boston Ivy Well, I might as well bite the bullet...here are my two that Defra approved. One weedy Goji Berry...and a Boston Ivy cutting that is a mess under the foliage. Which...happens to make me itch! Oh the joy...lol

Goji Berry (I'm on the wall as to if I can keep this a Mame. I may DQ at the end of the contest. But will try and be brutal with cutbacks.)
image.jpg

Boston Ivy rooted cutting...with a mangled mess under the canopy... Trying to figure out the tangle mess...to find a direction before winter when it's dormant. Those knee roots also need addressed. Not the most used in bonsai,but still used. But the species intrigued me. Mention of a photo came up here on B-Nut even at a Shohin show. Which gave me the idea to use the contest to get one for myself. Thanks @defra ! Love enablers...fun contest I hope more join! (Wasn't the cutting I thought I bought had seen a photo of a cute cascade direction I could have taken. But...will still work with it. It's here...maybe this will offer me more in the unknown direction than the other would have.)

Looking forward to the challenges...as well as watching others find their way as well. Wishing everyone a huge shout out that they got this! Let's have fun with this guys!!!
image.jpg

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Still haven't found the 3rd tree yet (going to use my time on that one) but for now these are my first 2 official entries:

1st Entry
Chinese Elm (Branch Cutting From Nursery):
20170516_084103.jpg

2nd Entry
False Shrubby Buttonweed (Collected from my yard):
20170427_121307.jpg

"It's always better to regret something you did, than something you didn't do" < - Just felt like throwing that in there!

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
My third entry has already had a rough start, it was a casualty when I over ferted a few trees so looks real scruffy now. All I did was get the old soil out and freshened it up with cat litter and pine bark to try and flush it out and it has responded well enough.

If nothing else and it survives I will have the dodgiest before pic for the before and after comparison.

IMG_2767.JPG
See, it lives.

IMG_2768.JPG

For now.

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
First entry : Lonicera paniculata

Photo0823_zps2lj5engg.jpg

I have already made some work on this... I'd rather say a lot of work.
It ended up being divided in two separate plants.
They seem they can get along in safety...

Soldano666

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5is
Ok I'm in. I have 2 right now and am deliberating on my third. I have a sacrifice branch I twisted up real hard on a mugo, I'm now thinking its my new trunkline, and I also have varuous cuttings of things I'm looking at with a new perspective now. Anyhoo, entry numer one is a lowes azalea that got a repot and chopped last spring, then got cut back hard again this spring. 0621171114b.jpg
Second up is a Siberian elm root cutting from this spring. I had kinda wrote it off and forgot about it since it didn't seem to push new growth and somebatch I found this the other day!!!0620171043.jpg

Mihai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Ok... here goes nothing...
First up is a japanese quince bought two weeks ago and cut back hard. Pics from when I bought it and from tonight with a lot of back budding.
20170610_220141.jpg
20170627_232409.jpg

Second up is a berberis bought today and trimmed back ten minutes ago. No before pic but I'll post the removed foliage :)
20170627_231143.jpg
20170627_232612.jpg
'Smoking kills' health warning included :)

Top Bottom