Mame contest idea

Rjoyce

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Okay, so I have a little but of a dilemma with my crab apples. They were air-layers taken last year and their roots are still in the sphagnum ball. They are starting so show signs of waking up (buds are swelling, and another larger branch taken from the same tree is already showing green) but I am supposed to get about a foot of snow tomorrow night. I am antsy to get these re-potted so they can begin development this year. Could I repot now, and put them in my cool basement near an east-facing window, where they would receive mostly ambient light until they leaf out, then do the bonsai two-step until mid-April? Or should i leave them where they are, on the ground, and let them get re-covered with snow for a few more weeks?

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have over 20 crabapple seedlings in little pots troughout the garden left them to fend for themself no protection or whatsoever some were already opening the buds then we had a cold week with freezing tempd -8° at night and --4°C at day now back to 13°C past two days they look like nothing happend snow insulates so IMO i wouldnt worry but it is understandable if you want to play it safe

Rjoyce

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Couldn't help myself, had to get my hands dirty. Plus I will have a decent amount of work coming in the spring, so I wanted to get a jump start. Repotted my two crabs, my third tree (chinese elm) is currently under about 14 inches of fresh snow.
Last night's work station:
20180312_205008.jpg
Tree #1 roots. Not quite even all around, but not too bad for a first spring after air layer:
20180312_215132.jpg
Current back of tree #1:
20180313_113056.jpg
Current front of tree #1:
20180313_113011.jpg

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@defra ... thanks again. Love this tiny mame of mine. ?. Embracing its ugly alien form waking...and seeing buds. Love its new shoes too. Waiting for leaves to share here...since last contest photo will be of a dormant state.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
2 of my 3 are alive and kicking. Waiting to see if the Creepy Virginia wakes up.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Mine are still alive too, definitely need some work, when it warms up.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
REMINDER:
Part two:
prepare it and get it in the mame sized pot.
1 year and 3 months
(20-08-2017 -- 20-11-2018)

There will be a opened update thread for the end of contest part two on 20-11-2018 to show the mames in their pots.

I want to point out the following as a reminder:
the final date to get them in the pots is 20-11-2018 but then for mosth of us its winter by then so i reckon every contestents to decide now to do the repot this spring or consider a fall repot.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Please remind me of require pot size/depth and height of tree from the soil?
Thanks

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Please remind me of require pot size/depth and height of tree from the soil?
Thanks
All details in thread link...but tree size and pot size pasted below.
https://bonsainut.com/threads/mame-contest-entrys.27735/
Tree size:
Mame size is 3" to 6"
measured from the rim pot to top of the tree

Pot size:
Maximum of 4.5 inches in length across the front viewing side.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just came back to edit my post as I found it. Thanks anyway!
Is there any requirements as to depth of pot? And a training pot okay for this stage or must it be the final pot?

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I just came back to edit my post as I found it. Thanks anyway!
Is there any requirements as to depth of pot? And a training pot okay for this stage or must it be the final pot?
My take...must be in mame pot. Now one could use the large end of that pot size and make it smaller later. But mame pot for sure.

Defra stated...prepare it and get it in the mame sized pot.
1 year and 3 months
(20-08-2017 -- 20-11-2018)

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Gotcha. One is in a plastic training pot of the proper size now but, surly don't want it for the final image. The other 2 are in too large of pots now and wondering what to move them to this summer. Final or just anything of proper size.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Gotcha. One is in a plastic training pot of the proper size now but, surly don't want it for the final image. The other 2 are in too large of pots now and wondering what to move them to this summer. Final or just anything of proper size.
No clue...mine is in its final pot. If that helps. Presentation is key...on what one sees to vote on photo.

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Dang.....seems I am too late to enter.....already had trees going from last year........what a pity....

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Dang.....seems I am too late to enter.....already had trees going from last year........what a pity....
Sorry...if you didn't enter them...but honestly just developing material into something more...anyone who does that is a winner. I love my material...and after a much needed haircut of long limp vines...I am pleased with its alien looking self. So...I already am a winner in my book...no matter outcome of contest.

Top Bottom