Mame contest idea

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hello @defra I am sure I have seen a thread where we post photos of our trees as of now (no comments) but no matter how I tried I didn't manage to find it... :oops:
Would you please post a link here so that all participants are aware of this thread.
Thank you very much!

Here you go...

https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/mame-contest-update-thread.34021/

An update of mine...chasing back trailers...left a short one on for now. Waiting for fall colors.
20180816_090210.jpg

Rjoyce

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I went for a bit of a risky mid-summer repot on my two crab apples. I chose a new front for both of them, with one turning 180° and the other turning about 150° and tilting forward about 30°. We have had about 4 days of straight rain after the repot and the temps are slightly cooler with higher humidity. I hope they are able to cope. The planting height and angle will likely need to be adjusted again in the spring, but those will be minor adjustments. I will update the contest thread once I cut back for the last time this year.
20180810_220443.jpg
20180810_205551.jpg

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Quick reminder:

Part two:
prepare it and get it in the mame sized pot.
1 year and 3 months
(20-08-2017 -- 20-11-2018)

So this means that the entered tree's must be in a mame pot by 20-11-2018

I will open a thread on 01-10-2018 were you can post a pic of each entered tree with proof the pot size is within the size described in the entry thread.

That thread will close on 21-11-2018
Anyone that is to late without a good reason or heads up why it cant be posted in time will be disqualified from the contest we have been flexible troughout this contest so far but we gotta stick to the rules from now on.

Victorim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Just to say, i'm out. All three entries are pushing up the daisies. The little Salix Boydii made it to mid summer, but the heat and already in its mame pot was too much for it.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Just to say, i'm out. All three entries are pushing up the daisies. The little Salix Boydii made it to mid summer, but the heat and already in its mame pot was too much for it.

Ah that sucks dude
I lost my ulmus too by the hot summer
Lesson learned i supose :(

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
That thread will close on 21-11-2018
Anyone that is to late without a good reason or heads up why it cant be posted in time will be disqualified from the contest we have been flexible troughout this contest so far but we gotta stick to the rules from now on.

In addition to this:
If you got more than one tree's entered and pic is to late or the tree is not in a mame pot just that tree will be disqualified ofcourse

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Quick reminder:
So this means that the entered tree's must be in a mame pot by 20-11-2018
I have already posted photos of trees into mame pots on the update thread.
But now I am wondering if I can change the pot (same mame size of course) prior to the end of the contest on 20/02/2020...
Part three:
keep it alive and devellop the mame tree.
2 year and 3 months
(20-11-2018 -- 20-02-2020)

pweifan

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I've been going through a personal issue this past summer and bonsai has taken a hit in terms of priority. My tree is still alive but I'm no closer to finding a mame size pot. Where have you guys in the states been able to find containers?

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Oo I'm coming out of retirement for this one. If we've got until November I'll make a trip up to Meehan's to get a little something to play along with.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have already posted photos of trees into mame pots on the update thread.
But now I am wondering if I can change the pot (same mame size of course) prior to the end of the contest on 20/02/2020...
Part three:
keep it alive and devellop the mame tree.
2 year and 3 months
(20-11-2018 -- 20-02-2020)

Sure you can change pots after part three has started as much as you like as long as the pot is the right size!
at the end of the contest again a pic with size's must be included!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Oo I'm coming out of retirement for this one. If we've got until November I'll make a trip up to Meehan's to get a little something to play along with.
This contest has started already...it began in 2017. But feel free to go get material it this inspires you. Love my lil' mame tree.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I've been going through a personal issue this past summer and bonsai has taken a hit in terms of priority. My tree is still alive but I'm no closer to finding a mame size pot. Where have you guys in the states been able to find containers?
Sorry to hear that. Right now pots aren't my priority either...and my trees are getting watered and that is about all. Pots...all over. Etsy.com, eBay, @sorce , FB auctions, Google bonsai mame pots and see what comes up. I found the one my tree is in from google images believe it or not. Ordered it in from Japan. Erin Pottery from the UK...love his pots. Buy five and you get free shipping.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mine are all still kicking so far. I'll pose pics in the update thread.
My V Creeper had a 6 foot tendril and another 4 footer. I cut them both and seems to have stalled it a bit. My question is would this cascade pot on the right fall w/in Mame guidelines? I think it would be more appropriate for this tree.IMG_20180919_115650976.jpg

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Mine are all still kicking so far. I'll pose pics in the update thread.
My V Creeper had a 6 foot tendril and another 4 footer. I cut them both and seems to have stalled it a bit. My question is would this cascade pot on the right fall w/in Mame guidelines? I think it would be more appropriate for this tree.View attachment 210531

Nice
It depends on how big the pot is what are the measurments?

Top Bottom