Reaction score
USDA Zone
3 inch O.D. and just under 5 inch tall.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
This contest has started already...it began in 2017. But feel free to go get material it this inspires you. Love my lil' mame tree.

But it has to be potted by this November right? So it hasn't technically started...

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
But it has to be potted by this November right? So it hasn't technically started...

This thread is to post your entry's only for the mame contest
---------------------------------------------
for discussions or questions please use this thread:

https://bonsainut.com/threads/mame-contest-idea.27643/
---------------------------------------------

Entry's can be posted from:
20-05-2017 untill 20-08-2017

Number of entry's
Maximum of 3 entry's per person.

Allowed matterial:
It realy doesnt matter where your matterial comes from could be boxstore, airlayer, collection or anything else you got growing around in your garden as long as it isnt already a mame or prestyled to be

How does the contest work?:

The contest is made out of three parts:

Part one:
the search for material.
3 months
(20-05-2017 -- 20-08-2017)

Part two:
prepare it and get it in the mame sized pot.
1 year and 3 months
(20-08-2017 -- 20-11-2018)

Part three:
keep it alive and devellop the mame tree.
2 year and 3 months
(20-11-2018 -- 20-02-2020)

Total Contest length:
3 years and 9 month's
Start: 20-05-2017
End : 20-02-2020

Tree size:
Mame size is 3" to 6"
measured from the rim pot to top of the tree

Pot size:
Maximum of 4.5 inches in length across the front viewing side.

Updates/voting:

Like to vote

When the entry date is passed two weeks to vote for the best entry to get a winner for part one.

There will be a opened update thread for the end of contest part two on 20-11-2018 to show the mames in their pots and again vote by likes to get a winner out of part two

End of contest 20-02-2020
Post a progression from your mame with at least 6 pics from start till end allong with 1 picture with the height measured
And again like to vote for the best progression and result to get a winner for part three

Good luck but more important have fun !

Entry thread is here:
https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/mame-contest-entrys.27735/

You will be over a year behind developing your tree but hate to say no because this gets you out of retirement :p

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Entry thread is here:

You will be over a year behind developing your tree but hate to say no because this gets you out of retirement :p

Oh I've already bought a tree off eBay. Help me.

Issue is, I'm not sure if Willow Leaf Ficus leaves can get mame sized. I might just have to show it leafless...

I don't need to be "officially" in the contest. Just wanted something to play along with and since it's a Ficus I really won't be THAT far behind.

Last edited:

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

Issue is, I'm not sure if Willow Leaf Ficus leaves can get mame sized. I might just have to show it leafless...

I don't need to be "officially" in the contest. Just wanted something to play along with and since it's a Ficus I really won't be THAT far behind.

Id say Post a pic in the update thread i create next month and sneak yourself into the contest ;)

Fraxinus Excelsior is also not so suitable for bonsai because big leaves people say but im trying a mame fraxinus for a dutch mame contest and look at this:

20180904_175804.jpg

I dont know anything about willow ficus but there are more willow ficus entered in the contest :)

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Ok, a vague update of the one I had not put in a mame pot in the update thread. It's now in a suitable pot, needs a bit more pinching out but is on it's way. I'm very happy with it so far and probably it's going to be my first real bonsai. It has been in the pot long enough through the heat of summer to say it is healthy so even better.

IMG_20180920_215743396.jpg

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Entry thread is here:

But, ones have already been told no... That the deadline was past. How can we open for Ryan and the others were passed up? I mean this is your gig...but there were a few I thought last year was told no.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
But, ones have already been told no... That the deadline was past. How can we open for Ryan and the others were passed up? I mean this is your gig...but there were a few I thought last year was told no.

Calm down (**said in a not rude tone**), I'm not officially joining as I said above. I'm just playing along unofficially.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Calm down (**said in a not rude tone**), I'm not officially joining as I said above. I'm just playing along unofficially.
I don't mean to come across as a hard __ss. I just don't want newbies feeling slighted. I love my mame...I had not considered even owning one prior to the contest came up.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b

How large are their leaves? I assumed they were the smaller leaf ficus than others. I mean Suthin does mame with them. Look at the one Denise got.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
How large are their leaves? I assumed they were the smaller leaf ficus than others. I mean Suthin does mame with them. Look at the one Denise got.

I think that's more of a shohin. Mame would really be pushing it. The leaves reduce well, but that well? I don't think so.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A

Though looking at his site again, he does have some very tiny trees. Interesting how he only posts them without leaves though, which makes me think that's the only way they look decent at that size.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Though looking at his site again, he does have some very tiny trees. Interesting how he only posts them without leaves though, which makes me think that's the only way they look decent at that size.
Not necessarily...a naked tree allows one to see the bones of the tree. In leaf you can't see the fine development he's got going on. But it's odd...I just came back from there myself and he has them listed as shohin. Hm-mm in leaf maybe it puts them over the size for mame? I don't know...my mame is a Boston Ivy...it's leaves aren't minuscule...but small compared to the V. Creeper.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
@Cadillactaste guess your right,!

@Redwood Ryan just post your work in this discussion thread to show off your work
Size restriction is 3 to 6 inch so looking at that pics i guess it is doable for the willow leaf ficus!

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
My little Bougs are in for a shock, I'm probably going to take them with me to France but winter is a problem and I have no type of an indoor set up. Hopefully they will survive on a bright windowsill until I can set something up.

Yoppyx

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
How does watering work with mame trees? I'd imagine that they would dry out at a stupid fast rate.

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Quick reminder:

Part two:
prepare it and get it in the mame sized pot.
1 year and 3 months
(20-08-2017 -- 20-11-2018)

So this means that the entered tree's must be in a mame pot by 20-11-2018

I will open a thread on 01-10-2018 were you can post a pic of each entered tree with proof the pot size is within the size described in the entry thread.

That thread will close on 21-11-2018
Anyone that is to late without a good reason or heads up why it cant be posted in time will be disqualified from the contest we have been flexible troughout this contest so far but we gotta stick to the rules from now on.

@defra, we need a new update thread right?

Top Bottom