Mame contest idea

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
How does watering work with mame trees? I'd imagine that they would dry out at a stupid fast rate.

You can set the pots in larger pots and let the roots escape through the drainage holes. It works well to get the trees through summer. I'm sure this technique has been around forever but I learned of it through @jeremy_norbury.

2018-08-18-13-16-43-jpg.206501

2018-08-18-13-35-30-jpg.206503

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You can set the pots in larger pots and let the roots escape through the drainage holes. It works well to get the trees through summer. I'm sure this technique has been around forever but I learned of it through @jeremy_norbury.

2018-08-18-13-16-43-jpg.206501

2018-08-18-13-35-30-jpg.206503
As addition to this you could also place spaghmum moss on the small pot that helps a bunch too

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
@VAFisher
Nice tree's you got, you are setting the bar high !

Also thnx allot for adding the extra progression pics it realy shows why mame trees are such fun with such small material where the comment would be grow a thick trunk first with these little tree's building of primary branching starts rather quick and shows fast results with normaly uninteresting small cheap stock

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@VAFisher
Nice tree's you got, you are setting the bar high !

Also thnx allot for adding the extra progression pics it realy shows why mame trees are such fun with such small material where the comment would be grow a thick trunk first with these little tree's building of primary branching starts rather quick and shows fast results with normaly uninteresting small cheap stock

Thanks! I'm definitely enjoying them. Looking forward to seeing everyone else's progression.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I just found out about this. This is so cool. Of course I'm not going to even try to enter so I'll just follow along for fun.
I got a cutting of bald cypress that I'm going to attempt to put into a mame sized pot this spring. It wont' be much of a bonsai but it will be a lot of fun!

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Got this guy into an appropriate size pot which has much more volume than the 5 inch trainer. Not sure he is happy about it but...
I'll get pics of all three posted in the update thread soon.IMG_20181009_111059750.jpg

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Tucked into my unheated crawl space for a stretch of low twenty degree temps for a few day only to be attacked my a mouse I suspect. Little bastards started a war! LOL
IMG_20181119_152127664.jpg

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
@pweifan Heres the discussion thread to talk about the contest also if you have time anytime soon i reccomend to add another pic of your mame tree were the pot is measured.
I have to post new photos, too. Are we going to post them in this thread?
You wrote that thread for Part #2 of the contest is now closed, so are we going to post in the new thread for Part #3?
Thank you.

pweifan

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
OK. I will post after Thanksgiving. I will be returning home Saturday evening (possibly Sunday but not likely). Have a great holiday everyone who celebrates!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Tucked into my unheated crawl space for a stretch of low twenty degree temps for a few day only to be attacked my a mouse I suspect. Little bastards started a war! LOL
View attachment 218025
Your not using straw as an insulator for cold are you? I've been reading it can actually draw critters to bed and munch.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I assume this early winter. It's been averaging 15 degrees below normal since Oct 11 according to Columbus weatherman.
4 traps set. No poison. I want their hide, not their odor when they craw off and die somewhere.

Top Bottom