Mame coral beauty Cotoneaster, 3 month progression

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Could it be Fireblight ? Its a bacterial disease affecting Rosaceae, and Cotoneaster are susceptible.
Your Fungicide and insecticide sprays wouldnt stop it.
Either way whatever the cause it would pay to remove all diseased leaves and prune all affected twigs back to healthy growth and,disinfect your pruners after working the tree.
It could totally be fire blight! I just looked up some images and is very similar. Read an article about spraying landscape trees with a vinegar mix? Worth a shot?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Man I hate to see that beautiful cotoneaster going down hill! Do you do dormancy spraying? This last year I started following @markyscott 's dormancy spraying program and I am leveled by how few fungus problems I'm having this year compared to years prior - and its even been much wetter and cooler in my area! I do the dormancy oil spraying in late winter and then the fungal spray when the buds are close to popping and then when the leaves harden off I use a systemic granular insecticide and a granular fungicide (bout half a tbs/pot each applied a couple weeks apart). Links to mine below. After that, I have only sprayed a single preventative application of Daconil once this growing season when last year by this time I had already rotated through a couple of fungicides.

Hopefully it bounces back!

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Man I hate to see that beautiful cotoneaster going down hill! Do you do dormancy spraying? This last year I started following @markyscott 's dormancy spraying program and I am leveled by how few fungus problems I'm having this year compared to years prior - and its even been much wetter and cooler in my area! I do the dormancy oil spraying in late winter and then the fungal spray when the buds are close to popping and then when the leaves harden off I use a systemic granular insecticide and a granular fungicide (bout half a tbs/pot each applied a couple weeks apart). Links to mine below. After that, I have only sprayed a single preventative application of Daconil once this growing season when last year by this time I had already rotated through a couple of fungicides.

Hopefully it bounces back!
I used a dormant bug spray but did not use a dormant fungal spray. The bug spray worked wonders for trees that normally are devastated by leaf curl. Per @markyscott suggestion I Had planned on using a lime sulphur spray this year but the nursery I would normally buy lime sulphur from no longer carries it. Unfortunately I never got to spraying for fungus and right now I’m wishing I would have.

im really hoping this tree of mine will pull through. @markyscott any suggestions to eleviate the issue? I was planning on sterilizing tools and completely cutting out infected branches and leaves and disposing of those far away. But it seems if it’s fire blight their is not much of a solution.

NOZZLE HEAD

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Certainly clean out dead foliage, and may as well clean out dead branches. It will not hurt. Dead leaves, if killed by insects, may hide some of the bugs from insecticide sprays. If fungal, the dead leaves might be providing spores for re-infection. So no matter what, clean out the dead.

I never thought of fire blight. I think the spray of choice is tetracycline. @NOZZLE HEAD - what do you think about fire blight and what would you spray?
Out in the field the pome fruit growers I work with fight fire blight in most of their older plantings.

I have not seen a difference in control with streptomycin or tetracycline, they both work well. I always tank mix with a product called “regalia” it wakes up the plants natural defenses and provides incremental control of most bacterial diseases, but does not work well enough alone.

Coppers work well to prevent new infections and if the disease pressure is high it may be in the mix as well.

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score
Im very surprised to hear that you still advocate use of ANTIBIOTICS streptomycin or tetracycline to broadcast spray in the wider environment ?!!
These antibiotics are important human medications used under prescription to treat human health issues and infections
There is strong evidence from World Health Organisation that this will cause spread of antibiotic resistance!
Is it any wonder that resistant superbugs are on the increase!!

LCD35

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hoes it doing? I did a light wire on my Coral beauty this morning to encourage upward growth, since it wants to go horizonal. Light prune back so those branches don't outpace the trunk thickening.

Hopefully it's recovered, or at least stopped declining.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hoes it doing? I did a light wire on my Coral beauty this morning to encourage upward growth, since it wants to go horizonal. Light prune back so those branches don't outpace the trunk thickening.

Hopefully it's recovered, or at least stopped declining.

thanks for asking. Unfortunately both of my Cotoneaster have completely died. I suspect fire blight based on another members suggestion. It happened awfully quick and while I “threw the kitchen sink at it” nothing seemed to help. I need to get my dormant season spraying regime dialed in so I don’t have these problems every year. That and where I was living for the spring and early summer season may have given my trees just too much shade. They didn’t dry out enough between watering. Partially my fault.

LCD35

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
thanks for asking. Unfortunately both of my Cotoneaster have completely died. I suspect fire blight based on another members suggestion. It happened awfully quick and while I “threw the kitchen sink at it” nothing seemed to help. I need to get my dormant season spraying regime dialed in so I don’t have these problems every year. That and where I was living for the spring and early summer season may have given my trees just too much shade. They didn’t dry out enough between watering. Partially my fault.
Damn dude, I'm sorry. You really inspired me with the directions you went and I incorporated a lot of what you wrote into my coral development. I've always worried about blight and fungus, but it's so dry here in southern Idaho, I don't think I have to worry unless it's early spring or late fall regarding fungus.

Check the fall clearance at nursuries, I'm sure you can find a decent one to start again in the spring.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Damn dude, I'm sorry. You really inspired me with the directions you went and I incorporated a lot of what you wrote into my coral development. I've always worried about blight and fungus, but it's so dry here in southern Idaho, I don't think I have to worry unless it's early spring or late fall regarding fungus.

Check the fall clearance at nursuries, I'm sure you can find a decent one to start again in the spring.
I think I’m realizing more and more that fungus has been an issue longer than I realize. Even if it doesn’t kill the tree, it’s appearance is never what it should be. It’s possible too that I pushed too hard on them.

Reaction score
Portland, Oregon, United States of America
USDA Zone
9b
What a heartbreaking thread. I have a cotoneaster, microphyllus i believe, still in nursery pot. I noticed it had a bunch of colored leaves but I'm not sure if it's sick or that's normal for them to change color in autumn. I checked on it today and noticed that the top of the soil is incredibly dry and squeezed the pot to discover it was rock hard, even though it's been raining for 24 hours. I'm going to do an emergency repot tonight or tomorrow and see if it lives. I hope you keep at it. I have checked out a few of your cotoneaster threads while looking for info on care and styling of my own and appreciate you sharing good and bad experiences.

Top Bottom