Mame Crabapple Project

Grant Hamby

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Anything I have that fruits, I let it. Have not seen any adverse effects. Just be sure to fertilize thoroughly thru the year.

However, yours will be a little light on foliage for awhile, so best to probably remove spent flowers.

Leaf coloring looks similar to mine. Stay on top of bugs, fungus, disease....basically everything.....crabapples are like me with a fistful of dollars, attracting lottsa' riff-raff!!!
In flower.....
View attachment 135623

Thanks for the wisdom! Those blooms are beautiful! Crabapples are one of my favorite species for bonsai and I'm excited to learn more about them. They have a unique charm.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Opps, forgive me for not remembering the orange/yellow fruit yours displays. Much nicer than mine, which are much smaller, purplish and pretty inconspicuous...:(:D:D:D:D

So they are not the same, should figure though, most will emerge in spring with similar hues....:confused::rolleyes::D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Grant Hamby

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
For better taper you could grow out that lowest branch (near the back?) as an escape sacrifice.

Yes, there are several shoots popping near the base, I plan to let them grow a while. Even the ones in the front should create good looking scars to add character.

Reaction score
In the end, when did you do the chop?

nice little tree... although I don't fancy the pot colour that much...

Grant Hamby

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In the end, when did you do the chop?

nice little tree... although I don't fancy the pot colour that much...

I did it in February. I got impatient, haha. And yeah, I'll use a better pot when I tilt it more. A friend made this pot for me, so I wanted to use it for something.

Corrado

Mame
Reaction score
Grant, just saw this little crab. If it were mine I would not be in so much of a rush cutting. let it grow a year or two and see what other bud breaks will form on that fat little trunk. It just might place a better spot for branching or trunk line. By the way ,what variety of crab is that one. I like it ! oh I see Im alittle late there,you chopped. ok.

Top Bottom