Mame Dwarf Mugo

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Picked up this super tiny Dwarf Mugo pine. I went ahead and chose the front/ cut the middle branch to give some movement.

Not entirely sure to do with the two back branches. I’m assuming I want to keep one for depth, but maybe not? And if so which one is better for depth?
Use the largest one going to the right as the main trunk and the first one on the left as the first branch.
What Paradox said. I really like that 1st picture.
Remember when you remove a branch or trunk chop, to leave a good stub and allow the branch
to die back from the wound. The flush wound created on the trunk could prove to be a problem
but not 100% always is that the case. The dangling branch on the right should get removed now
using the large buds above it as the main trunk to be IMO. Don't worry about selecting other branches for removal
given the work done already. You have a fantastic trunk line as it is. I love it.
Mugo is pretty slow. They do very well in 10" pond baskets too, but pack a lot of patience
if you're wanting anything taller. Keep the new generating apex wild and free as long as you can stand it.
It will create what ever girth it will and is allowed to.

Scrogdor

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
What Paradox said. I really like that 1st picture.
Remember when you remove a branch or trunk chop, to leave a good stub and allow the branch
to die back from the wound. The flush wound created on the trunk could prove to be a problem
but not 100% always is that the case. The dangling branch on the right should get removed now
using the large buds above it as the main trunk to be IMO. Don't worry about selecting other branches for removal
given the work done already. You have a fantastic trunk line as it is. I love it.
Mugo is pretty slow. They do very well in 10" pond baskets too, but pack a lot of patience
if you're wanting anything taller. Keep the new generating apex wild and free as long as you can stand it.
It will create what ever girth it will and is allowed to.
I’ll keep my fingers crossed. Definitely should have read up a little more. Was a quick knee jerk buy.

Top Bottom