Mame hedge cotoneaster experiments

Tycoss

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Over the past couple of years, I have been finding little cotoneaster seedlings in my lawn and sticking them in little pots. These are different from the cotoneaster horozontalis that are normally used as bonsai. The leaves are larger, berries are black, and growth is usually more upright. They are deciduous and have nice fall colour. I know they will never get really substantial in these little pots, but I’m enjoying the process. Anyone else tried them?

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Great little ones, congrats !

berries are black

This is very surprising, of all the cotoneaster I can think of, and after checking from my bookshelf (I still love books, real books), I can't think of any with black berries.

cto-div_210321a.jpg

I also pick up some from the lawn, or in pots, horizontalis, but also others that are difficult to identify since they have never flowered, like this one that I lost a couple of years ago :mad:

cotoS_160609c.jpg

Or that other one that also died while I was on holidays - but I still have half a dozen of others of the same type developping to be put in pots that can stand our new, very hot summers. I've given up with "Mame" :

cotoF02_100816.jpg

Tycoss

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great little ones, congrats !

This is very surprising, of all the cotoneaster I can think of, and after checking from my bookshelf (I still love books, real books), I can't think of any with black berries.

View attachment 362583

I also pick up some from the lawn, or in pots, horizontalis, but also others that are difficult to identify since they have never flowered, like this one that I lost a couple of years ago :mad:

View attachment 362584

Or that other one that also died while I was on holidays - but I still have half a dozen of others of the same type developping to be put in pots that can stand our new, very hot summers. I've given up with "Mame" :

View attachment 362585
Thanks for the comments. I'm pretty sure these are cotoneaster acutifolius. They seem to be the only cotoneaster species that is reliably hardy here, so they are very widely used as hedging material

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thanks. After a bit more work I think they would look great in some of those little pots you have been producing lately.
I have some Acer rubrum seedlings that have some good taper to them I was thinking on cutting back a few and preparing them for a couple of my mame pots. But your little ones look awesome! The bark on the trunks gives them a lot of character.

Top Bottom