TinyArt

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My issue now is deciding which to keep. I really do like them all.

This has always been a problem for me because when I make something I make it for myself and I put the extra time and effort in.
*deep breath*
I know I won’t be popular for this, but here goes:

You have made an amazing collection, any one of which I’d be delighted to have — because WONDERFUL! MINIATURE! ARTISTRY! CRAFTSMANSHIP!!! —

But — and I’d make myself say this even if I had deep pockets and show-worthy bonsai — I see these as your personal working prototypes, your “artist’s proofs,” if you will. I think it’s valuable for you to have time with them all together, for some time. For your own enjoyment and contemplation.

Together, they make such a wonderful catalog, both as themselves and of potential variations of shapes, feet, glazes — confirming your initial designs & inspiring more.

I hope this makes sense —

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
*deep breath*
I know I won’t be popular for this, but here goes:

You have made an amazing collection, any one of which I’d be delighted to have — because WONDERFUL! MINIATURE! ARTISTRY! CRAFTSMANSHIP!!! —

But — and I’d make myself say this even if I had deep pockets and show-worthy bonsai — I see these as your personal working prototypes, your “artist’s proofs,” if you will. I think it’s valuable for you to have time with them all together, for some time. For your own enjoyment and contemplation.

Together, they make such a wonderful catalog, both as themselves and of potential variations of shapes, feet, glazes — confirming your initial designs & inspiring more.

I hope this makes sense —
I welcome your comment and suggestion.

There's always that issue when I make something to possibly sell, I become attached and its sometimes hard to let go. But there's also the satisfaction I get seeing someone really appreciate something I made from scratch with my hands.

I need these little pots to help me advance to the next chapter, which is getting my own test kiln to test glazes. I'm hopeful that I will be able to turn the page to start the next chapter.

TinyArt

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I need these little pots to help me advance to the next chapter, which is getting my own test kiln to test glazes. I'm hopeful that I will be able to turn the page to start the next chapter.
Ah — no arguing with that!

Besides, when you send them out into the world, you’ll get to see what folks fill them with, and how they’re displayed — so exciting in its own right! ❤️

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
there's also the satisfaction I get seeing someone really appreciate something I made from scratch with my hands.
This is what its about for me. I keep almost nothing I do, I pass it all on eventually and when I do I love to hand it off in person. Shows are great for this.
And whether it is a painting, a carving or a pot, I try to place it all. I don't keep past work to see how I develop. I let almost everything go. Many artists say you should keep your mistakes as reminders. I think this is bull. If its a mistake you are going to remember it. I have busted up pots, and burned paintings and carvings in the past.
When things turn out as well as yours have, I might keep one or two (but not forever) but I feel it is the job of an artist to find a home for the art. Just me, many don't agree.

You should be very satisfied with all of your hard work. I never get a glaze firing with that many pieces that turned out so well. I get some magic and some mayhem. Carry on my friend.

NaoTK

Chumono
Reaction score
I like the forms a lot and some of the feet are compelling. My personal taste is that more matte glazes work better for bonsai pots. Do you plan to make your own glazes?

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I like the forms a lot and some of the feet are compelling. My personal taste is that more matte glazes work better for bonsai pots. Do you plan to make your own glazes?
@NaoTK Thanks!

Yes, I plan on making a rice straw ash glaze soon maybe for some pots in Batch #2. I just need a couple more chemicals to complete it.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
What do you need?
I still need to get silica, potash felspar, and bentonite. When I made my order for the Obsidian I also ordered Saturation Metallic but it was out of stock. When it arrives I'll order the rest of the chemicals I need and pick up all of it at one shot. It's a hike to drive up to Baltimore so I try to make it worth the drive up.

Top Bottom