Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
So I was asked by @mwar15 if I had planted anything yet into any of my mame pots, and the answer was no. Batch #1 was finished well after everything had leafed out. I've also been so busy making the tomobako's for each pot I haven't had time to do anything else. So today I made sure I put something into a pot. I have some junipers that were wired up last year, and I decided to pull one to repot into a mame pot.

Here's the group I had to choose from.
20210516_160101.jpg

This is the one I picked.
20210516_160718.jpg20210516_160742.jpg

Here's one of my keepers I will use for the repot.
20210516_162242.jpg

The removal of foliage and roots was pretty drastic. I'm going to baby this one to see if it recovers. It was hard to capture what it really looks like in person, but i think overall the design came out ok with what I had to work with.

20210516_224059.jpg20210516_224120.jpg20210516_225519.jpg

mwar15

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
So I was asked by @mwar15 if I had planted anything yet into any of my mame pots, and the answer was no. Batch #1 was finished well after everything had leafed out. I've also been so busy making the tomobako's for each pot I haven't had time to do anything else. So today I made sure I put something into a pot. I have some junipers that were wired up last year, and I decided to pull one to repot into a mame pot.

View attachment 375218

View attachment 375219View attachment 375220

View attachment 375221

The removal of foliage and roots was pretty drastic. I'm going to baby this one to see if it recovers. It was hard to capture what it really looks like in person, but i think overall the design came out ok with what I had to work with.

View attachment 375223View attachment 375222View attachment 375224
I love it!! Did you make the root stand too?

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

View attachment 375218

View attachment 375219View attachment 375220

View attachment 375221

View attachment 375223View attachment 375222View attachment 375224
That's fabulous.
Coincidentally, the pot you used was my favorite of the entire group.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
That's fabulous.
Coincidentally, the pot you used was my favorite of the entire group.
Yeah I really like this pot too, and surprisingly the rim didn't warp during both firings. I hope this little juniper makes it. It looks pretty cool so small.

20210517_083432.jpg

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Pitoon, these are incredible pots. Im excited for batch 2. Ive seen all the selling posts come up. I dont have any truly mame sized bonsai, but I do have shohin. Are you planning on doing anything in a shohin size in the future?

Otherwise, I might need to go even smaller just to have a reason to buy one of these pots.

The pot you planted the juniper in was my favorite of the batch also. I loved the futuristic lines and sharp feet.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Pitoon, these are incredible pots. Im excited for batch 2. Ive seen all the selling posts come up. I dont have any truly mame sized bonsai, but I do have shohin. Are you planning on doing anything in a shohin size in the future?

Otherwise, I might need to go even smaller just to have a reason to buy one of these pots.

The pot you planted the juniper in was my favorite of the batch also. I loved the futuristic lines and sharp feet.
Thanks for the compliments! I anticipate Batch #2 to have some bigger pots and more unglazed ones as well. What ballpark size were you thinking? I could probably make some around that size.

I still have some more pots to list, but I need to make the tomobako's for them. I also need to get the wood to do that. Each box is made specific to the pot and takes time to design, cut the wood, sand, assemble, sand, brand. I just have to make some time to finish those off so I can really start working on Batch #2.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
..........so I've the got mame itch to make another one.

Here's the mame pot I've picked out.
20210520_102858.jpg

The plant selected is an azalea that ground layered and I dug up last fall. The flowers are not overly huge, but not small either. I think the color of the flowers will look good against the black glaze. It has lots of lower shoots.......I think it will fill in nicely as a clump style.
20210520_102603.jpg20210520_102610.jpg20210520_102352.jpg

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks for the compliments! I anticipate Batch #2 to have some bigger pots and more unglazed ones as well. What ballpark size were you thinking? I could probably make some around that size.

I still have some more pots to list, but I need to make the tomobako's for them. I also need to get the wood to do that. Each box is made specific to the pot and takes time to design, cut the wood, sand, assemble, sand, brand. I just have to make some time to finish those off so I can really start working on Batch #2.

Between 3" and 4.5" would be awesome.

Top Bottom