Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
@Marlborough Handcraft thanks for the kind words I really do appreciate it. The pot in post #121 took a bit longer to make because of putting all those nails....27 in total. The nails are pretty small and while I was working on the pot my fingers rubbed a couple off. I had to stop make new nails add slip to attach.....etc. The pot is pretty small internal measurements 1.75" wide and .5" deep right now. Cone 10 shrinkage is 14% with a .75% absorption rate........so final internal measurements will be +/- 1.5" wide and .43" deep. It will be prefect for a mame sized bonsai or as a shitakusa for a shito/shohin sized bonsai
thumbnail_20210326_101722.jpgthumbnail_20210326_101641.jpg

I think this pot would look good unglazed fired to Cone 10 R. Color should look like the pic below....
1616766892600.png

But then again it might look good glazed too at Cone 6. The problem is what color glaze would look good with this pot?

I've made some cascades post #28 and post #49. I'll attempt to make a new cascade pot this weekend 🤞.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I really like how this pot looks unglazed, or at least the mental image I'm seeing anyway. For some reason I see a yellowed cream color if it was glazed.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I really like how this pot looks unglazed, or at least the mental image I'm seeing anyway. For some reason I see a yellowed cream color if it was glazed.
Mentally I see this pot unglazed as well with a mame juniper or pine in it........preferably a really nice mame literati pine.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
This pot was made Friday evening. I was hoping to get another pot done this weekend, but could not squeeze it in with everything going on.

This pot looks really nice with no recessed foot. The irregular carving I think will really pop with a glaze that breaks on ridges......just need to find that right glaze now.

20210328_210136.jpg20210328_210014.jpg20210328_210025.jpg

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Wow, these are some impressive little pots! I'm excited to see them all glazed and ready for planting. Count me in for purchasing a few. I just ordered seeds for accent plantings and I think these would pair well with what I intend to grow (glaze color dependent I suppose).

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Wow, these are some impressive little pots! I'm excited to see them all glazed and ready for planting. Count me in for purchasing a few. I just ordered seeds for accent plantings and I think these would pair well with what I intend to grow (glaze color dependent I suppose).
What color glaze are you interested in?

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I'm a fan of creams, blues, and yellows. Red and pink are cool, but more difficult to use.
I have 11 glazes of blue of different hues. Some of them pool, break on edges, or have crystals in them. I am planning to have some pots bisque hopefully this week. If they survive the bisque and glaze firing I'll post up how they came out.

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have 11 glazes of blue of different hues. Some of them pool, break on edges, or have crystals in them. I am planning to have some pots bisque hopefully this week. If they survive the bisque and glaze firing I'll post up how they came out.
Nice! I'm looking forward to seeing how they turn out. As others have said, your detailing on pots so small is really impressive. The feet transitions are so smooth and there's no unevenness to the rims. I hope you keep producing even if this batch doesn't come out exactly as you hope.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Mentally I see this pot unglazed as well with a mame juniper or pine in it........preferably a really nice mame literati pine.

I have no idea how to achieve that, but I hope to see someone pull it off, I think that would be great.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's a neat little kiln. Have you made any further inroads into selecting a kiln yet? Did you ever talk to the Kiln Doctor? If I had the money to spend I would get one of those little kilns for small jobs and glaze testing.

Top Bottom