Mame Shimpaku juniper - first styling

WyldStallyn

Seedling
Reaction score
Bought this Shimpaku last year for about $15 and decided to try my hand at styling it. I didn't have a great pic of what it looked like before, so I just circled it in red below.

Comments and criticism welcome!

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
You seem to have a good eye for bonsai design, something not everyone has. I would like to see you get your hands on some bigger material and see what happens there. Learning bonsai design and acquiring the skills to pull it off with regularity depends on good old fashioned repetition. I cannot see the details of your wiring process but I suspect this to be a really good place to begin a course of study for improvement. There is a rhythm and design to the way you wire, it is almost like a dance within the branches, I looked at your wiring job a bit closer and you do have something to learn about this aspect of the art. If you want to serve your self well I would suggest starting there.

Here is a link that you will find totally valuable: <Craftsy@create.craftsy.com> There is a free set of lessons on wiring. By Colin Lewis; Very good, detailed, practical and make sense.

Last edited:

WyldStallyn

Seedling
Reaction score
You seem to have a good eye for bonsai design, something not everyone has. I would like to see you get your hands on some bigger material and see what happens there. Learning bonsai design and acquiring the skills to pull it off with regularity depends on good old fashioned repetition. I cannot see the details of your wiring process but I suspect this to be a really good place to begin a course of study for improvement. There is a rhythm and design to the way you wire, it is almost like a dance within the branches, I looked at your wiring job a bit closer and you do have something to learn about this aspect of the art. If you want to serve your self well I would suggest starting there.

Here is a link that you will find totally valuable: <Craftsy@create.craftsy.com> There is a free set of lessons on wiring. By Colin Lewis; Very good, detailed, practical and make sense.

Oh yes, still a LOT to learn. About everything. Wiring included. :)

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
You learn wiring and the rest of it will fall right in behind it.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Dope enough to say it sucks that the base is skinny like a crackhead.

Friggin nice!

Plus one for go bigger!

Sorce

DougB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Second all! Remember patience and that doing is learning.

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It looks pretty good. It's skinny, but you got a good start on branch positions. The only criticism I can add is that it looks like you don't have many back branches compared to the sides and front. The bottom right branch looks like it's wired around to the side from the back.

WyldStallyn

Seedling
Reaction score
It looks pretty good. It's skinny, but you got a good start on branch positions. The only criticism I can add is that it looks like you don't have many back branches compared to the sides and front. The bottom right branch looks like it's wired around to the side from the back.

Yep. Not many back branches at all. And you're right. The right branch is wired around from the back.

Top Bottom