Mame soil?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’m new to mame and I would like to know if you use normal bonsai soil.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've been using the fine parts of the same mix I use on others to hold more water.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I also set the pot in a tray of DE in summer while away playing.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I sift to 1/8" for bonsai and take those fines thru a bit smaller screen/stainless spaghetti strainer. :) I don't use the dust.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A

I had to check what it referred to exactly and saw that it is sold in the US.
I use about the same mix for my trees, in various proportions, but Akadama, pumice and lava rock (pozzolane) are the basics.
I can get composted pine bark here from a wholesale provider that sells to tree nurseries all over France. I usually add about 10% to the mix. My water is very hard so it helps maintainig a more neutral pH. It's also hepls mycorrhyzae to develop.

For "mame", I sieve the mix to get 3-5 mm particles and sometimes add some sphagnum moss.

The problem is the summer heat : when it gets too hot, I put them in a plastic crate at the bottom with 5-15mmm lava rock (pozzolane), then I cover the soil to the first branches with hemp hay - the kind used for ropes or insulation 😄

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I do shohin size pumice as a drainage layer, and a peat/vermiculite/sand mix for the substrate.

cockroach

Chumono
Reaction score
I use my regular bonsai mix but all the pots are put into flats with slightly more loamy/soil substrate as our summer sun and heat obliterates them in a day.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How many cubic centimeters are we talking about?

I swear by Napa 8822 Fines.

Sorce

Top Bottom