Mame wild rose

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well, the top bud died - guess I cut too close - but it's growing.

View attachment 439599
nice little trunk...You will most likely regret the day you got this...It's a multiflora rose from the looks of it. It's also a beast that is gaining strength and growing thorns. I had one for a while many years ago. It had a beast of a trunk, dug up from a rural Va. cowpasture. It was GIVEN to me by a bonsai nursery because it was such a problem. Once of the necessities of keeping them is allowing them to grow wild for a few months to produce flowers and harden off branching. I spent all summer pruning the damn thing back to keep it from covering all the other trees near it. Pruning it was a challenge since it has catclaw thorns some of them small, others large. They are strong enough to tear clothing...Yours may be small enough not to be a nuisance, hope so...good luck.

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
nice little trunk...You will most likely regret the day you got this...It's a multiflora rose from the looks of it. It's also a beast that is gaining strength and growing thorns. I had one for a while many years ago. It had a beast of a trunk, dug up from a rural Va. cowpasture. It was GIVEN to me by a bonsai nursery because it was such a problem. Once of the necessities of keeping them is allowing them to grow wild for a few months to produce flowers and harden off branching. I spent all summer pruning the damn thing back to keep it from covering all the other trees near it. Pruning it was a challenge since it has catclaw thorns some of them small, others large. They are strong enough to tear clothing...Yours may be small enough not to be a nuisance, hope so...good luck.
Ha! Yeah, hopefully small enough.

The nuisance ones are the ones growing from the (town owned woods) into the yard... Can't get rid of them fast enough.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Looking really good!

Are there any nice nurseries in the Portland area or heading back south on 95 enroute? I will be there for a day towards the end of this month.

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Looking really good!

Are there any nice nurseries in the Portland area or heading back south on 95 enroute? I will be there for a day towards the end of this month.
Nothing bonsai related very close; most nurseries just resell wholesale stuff (like Monrovia).

Skillin's in Falmouth and O'Donal's in Gorham are probably the best.

Colin Lewis is just a bit south of Portland - I could see if he would mind a pop-in.

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I follow this guy on IG, he has some seriously small mame.

Top Bottom