Mamma Pajammas

Zappa

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What on earth keeps digging/eating my wisteria roots?? Anyone else ever have this problem...if so did it turn out favorable?

Anyone have any tricks to prevent this....I already keep my plants on a brick wall about 3 feet off the ground.

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
What on earth keeps digging/eating my wisteria roots?? Anyone else ever have this problem...if so did it turn out favorable?

Anyone have any tricks to prevent this....I already keep my plants on a brick wall about 3 feet off the ground.

Try some moth balls.
Mom

Zappa

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
probably a stupid question....but I want to make sure im doing it the right way....moth balls in or around the wisteria?

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
probably a stupid question....but I want to make sure im doing it the right way....moth balls in or around the wisteria?

No such thing as a Stupid question!
Just put them around the area. It will drive off most creatures including you :D
Mom

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Sounds like squirrells, could even be birds.

Might try a prickly surface across the soil. I have been thinking about doing this on a couple of mine that get attacked somewhat regularly. I have some scraps from a type of gutter guard( I think) that has a kind of sharp surface where the holes were punched out, this would keep the digging a bay at least, but then they might upset the apple cart if the pot is easily moved.

Dale Cochoy

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Re: Moth Balls

Many, many years ago I had problems with mice/moles eating root/bark on trees in my coldframe. I used mouse traps for a few winters and found them all full in spring ( Yccch!) but still damage.
I tried using moth balls sprinkled around and now for over 20 years I still use them in my unheated greenhouse and my cold storage box ( cold frame) in the winter. I've not had such troubles in over 20 years.
I use about 20 spread around inside my 16' X 24' greenhouse.
Do not use them ON the pots though!

Dale

P.S. Years ago a Chinese grower told me that they ( old chinese guys) often use human hair spread around? Never tried this one, but....
If you are a barber.....

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
Score a big win for Irene!

Nah, just live in the country and have experianced all kind of things that dig.
I feel that these kinds of things need to be posted for all of us.
Take the time to learn the why's something is dining/digging under and around plants and you will most likely find a grub or two living with the plant.

Do remove the moth balls before ya water!
Not to sure what would happen.
Mom

Zappa

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
just posting an after action review....

The mothballs worked!!! and the wisteria seems to be still alive

Thanks for the help

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score