Man meditating

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Just as natural as our trees are. As in, not at all, they all have had some help, and the best ones have had a lot of help. All you have to do is take a walk on the wild side and you'll find that everything in nature is the product of the forces in nature and things get broken before they can get shaped & polished to any fine degree. Oh! And by the way some Chinese merchants have been known to embellish the provenance of items.

Pixar

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I thought Suiseki was all about natural rock that is found in it's natural form ( not like this )

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
I thought Suiseki was all about natural rock that is found in it's natural form ( not like this )
Maybe in principle, but not in reality. Most viewing stones from China and Japan have been altered if not downright manufactured.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
That's what people think who have paid big bucks for interesting pieces of rock that look like mountains, or some kind of special natural feature, but very few are "au natural". They are enhanced by carving and most are polished to look like what the uninitiated think a rock polished by the natural forces of a river bed over a thousand years would look like. I say uninitiated to mean someone who hasn't fetched rocks out of rivers or streams because they can be interesting, but never "show ready". They are all special, but I mean they have all been worked on by someone who is a craftsman. A nice one goes for big bucks. The owners swear they are natural in every way, much the same way people swear their expensive (fill in the blank) is worth the money they paid for it because (fill in the blank).

Anyone who has polished a stone will appreciate the effort, special polishing compounds, and time it takes to produce such things, and on the scale of a couple square feet of irregular surface area... big time effort and worth every penny the craftsmen get.

A. Gorilla

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
That's what people think who have paid big bucks for interesting pieces of rock that look like mountains, or some kind of special natural feature, but very few are "au natural". They are enhanced by carving and most are polished to look like what the uninitiated think a rock polished by the natural forces of a river bed over a thousand years would look like. I say uninitiated to mean someone who hasn't fetched rocks out of rivers or streams because they can be interesting, but never "show ready". They are all special, but I mean they have all been worked on by someone who is a craftsman. A nice one goes for big bucks. The owners swear they are natural in every way, much the same way people swear their expensive (fill in the blank) is worth the money they paid for it because (fill in the blank).

Anyone who has polished a stone will appreciate the effort, special polishing compounds, and time it takes to produce such things, and on the scale of a couple square feet of irregular surface area... big time effort and worth every penny the craftsmen get.
Spotted the shill for "big rocks".

Top Bottom