Mango Tree here in New Zealand

Pixar

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Can I grow a Mango tree outside here in Auckland , New Zealand ?
We are in Zone ( 10b )

Oerc201

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes you should be able to. I haven’t seen one as bonsai but possible i guess.

Pixar

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
If I grow the Mango Tree in my sun room to a reasonable size ( 4-5 years ) can I then place it outdoors to face the Winter ?

Oerc201

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If I grow the Mango Tree in my sun room to a reasonable size ( 4-5 years ) can I then place it outdoors to face the Winter ?
It would have to be used to the winter or the same thing will happen

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
People grow lots and lots of mango in zone 10B. Some of my friends in Miami have huge mango trees. They are in zone 10B like you.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
If I live in zone 10B, I grow my mango outside from seedlings. There is no need to keep them indoor at all. I am in 9A and I grow mango trees. I only take them inside a couple weeks a year when it gets below freezing. As soon as I see +2 C I take them outside.

Pixar

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
How does the USDA zoning work , I would like to understand how they compare New Zealand to USA ?

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
The only thing that matters when determining the USDA growing zone of a region is its extreme temperature lows. A location's USDA Growing Zones is based on 30 year average extreme minimum temperature.

Your area is 10b. Your 30 year average lowest temperature is 2 degree C. Mango will survive that so you can keep your mango outside.

Last edited:

Pixar

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Excellent thanks for the explanation and understood . Mango trees seem to struggle here in the winter - so I guess the temperature is going lower and yet we have climate change ?

Top Bottom