Mansei-en

sam

Chumono
Reaction score
Last few ....
thanks for sharing the pictures of your trip. being allowed to take pictures at the kato nursery is a hit or miss thing. I was allowed to take pictures. another group was denied.
pictures are a bonus. just being allowed to see the trees is enough. with all the nurseries in close proximity one could spend several days in omiya and not see the same thing twice.

best wishes, sam

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Thanks for sharing your pix, Ian. Those are some incredible bonsai; several are national treasures and you're fortunate to have had the opportunity to see them in person. You probably know the Itoigawa in the 4th photo in the first post is "Hiryu", with an interesting story, before and after it's eventual collection in 1983. Bonsai Focus did an in-depth article on it recently. Here is a photo of the tree within a few years of its collection.

Attachments

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
That's a nice variety of trees in that nursery, so nice to see great examples of D trees too. Love the maple, what an amazing thing. That zelkova in the box is breathtaking. Thanks so much for sharing these!

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing your pix, Ian. Those are some incredible bonsai; several are national treasures and you're fortunate to have had the opportunity to see them in person. You probably know the Itoigawa in the 4th photo in the first post is "Hiryu", with an interesting story, before and after it's eventual collection in 1983. Bonsai Focus did an in-depth article on it recently. Here is a photo of the tree within a few years of its collection.
Geez, I didn't even realize those were the same two trees! Simply phenomenal!

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Those are some amazing trees! I couldn't even imagine what it takes to maintain them.

Brian, thanks for the "as collected" photo.

ianb

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Brian, thanks for the backstory on Hiryu. People may not notice how imposing this tree is unless you know how big I am;)

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Awesome pictures! Thanks for sharing them. I can never see enough of these Japanese nurseries.

Top Bottom