Manzanita, am I crazy?

Craig W

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Wow Atrox, that is a big one compared to the scronny ones I grabbed. Well done.

It probably goes without saying that I don't know what back budding is, And a flush is? I assume new growth.

Now that I see that it is possible to dig a big one, I will have to look around for another project.

And thank you Potawatomi, a good read.

I also think I will go scout around and try to air layer some of the ones growing around the place.

Also: I just assumed the natural soil they are growing in was the best to use to start them off, but have read the pumice and other substrates are better. Why and if so how do I switch the natural soil and change to the other without messing with the roots too much?

Thanks

Atrox

Mame
Reaction score
Tucson AZ most collecting in SW NM at 6'700"
P1010054.jpg

This is typical of the root work I did last spring on several much larger trees. The trunk above is about 1 1/4" dia. As shown here there is a nice layer of soil around the root ball resting over much harder ground. All the trees I did this heavy of root work on continued to grow actively all summer and with the experience I gained on that first one I am expecting success with the larger ones this spring. I am going to leave as much native soil on the root ball, again, as possible and will plant in a grow box just a bit larger than needed to fit, with the extra space filled with pumas. I can drive to the spot so I will again box them up right at the dig site. With all the insults of root work, pruning and transplanting I am going to leave changing soil for a couple of years down the road. My grow boxes have 1/4" wire mesh on the bottom. The "topsoil" type layer that allows easy collecting where I am holds much more water than the usual sandy/rocky soil Manzs are usually found in so the wire bottoms will prevent the roots getting boggy if we have another very wet summer as last year.

As with any collecting and described at length in the Manz specific article linked above the key to success is the condition that your hopeful is growing in. I just lucked out where I am and found this large patch growing in this "topsoil" over hard decomposing granite. Our cabin is also very close by so I keep an eye on then, water and fertilize when it didn't rain, prune and just generally worry them regularly like many new bonsai folks do hahaha

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
For what it's worth, here's what Pacific Horticulture Magazine has to say on the subject:

Manzanitas in Your Garden

Like almost all native plants everywhere, manzanitas prefer the well-drained soil and climate of their native ranges. Gardeners should educate themselves carefully when choosing a manzanita for their gardens.

Manzanitas are not totally carefree in the garden; they need to be treated with care. Because of their tough leathery leaves, it’s difficult to tell when a plant is suffering; they often simply turn color and, suddenly, die.

In general, manzanitas will not tolerate high mountains and low deserts, alkaline soils, or too much water. When well established, most species are capable of surviving the annual summer drought without irrigation. Almost all prefer full sun.

- See more at: http://www.pacifichorticulture.org/articles/manzanita/#sthash.7gKHSDHY.dpuf

Atrox

Mame
Reaction score
Tucson AZ most collecting in SW NM at 6'700"
P1010010%202.jpg
P1010011%202.jpg

2 views This one was fully trenched down to near solid granite, 8"or so also the only big root leading to the clump was cut and top pruned early last spring. I watered and fertilized all summer and it grew like crazy. This will be the first one I collect this year

Last edited:

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's gorgeous Andrew. How long have you had it in a pot?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
There's a few manzanita in my foothills (east, central California) that I've been tending/preping for removal for 3? Years now. The main one has about a 3 inch trunk and is about 2 feet tall. Due to a recent hand injury I won't be able to collect it this year. That might be best for the tree in the long run. I've been adding/keeping soil around the trunk, and under the canopy in hopes that it sends out more radial roots from the trunk. Maybe next year will be the year she comes home.

I've heard of a guy in Arizona? That has a really good success rate with collecting these. If memory serves me correct, he stated that they're a different species than what I have here.

AndrewRuiz

Seed
Reaction score
Its been in the pot for only six months, i saw this in the mountains and it came home a week later. I live in Tucson, Arizona

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Damn that is a nice manzanita Andrew.
The intense color of the trunk looks great.

The only manzanita native to Illinois and Wisconsin is bear berry, also known as kinnikinnick. It is in the same genus as the other Manzanitas, but we usually don't think of it as one. Our bear berry is a creeping ground cover, which with a few decades of time will eventually develop a half inch, maybe even a one inch diameter trunk. Takes forever to get any girth.

It is only occasionally seen as bonsai, usually as kusamono. But it can be trained up to make more tree like shapes.

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
There's a few manzanita in my foothills (east, central California) that I've been tending/preping for removal for 3? Years now. The main one has about a 3 inch trunk and is about 2 feet tall. Due to a recent hand injury I won't be able to collect it this year. That might be best for the tree in the long run. I've been adding/keeping soil around the trunk, and under the canopy in hopes that it sends out more radial roots from the trunk. Maybe next year will be the year she comes home.

I've heard of a guy in Arizona? That has a really good success rate with collecting these. If memory serves me correct, he stated that they're a different species than what I have here.
The guy is Greg Brenden. There was an article on him in the 2004 Golden Statements magazine. I have the copy and he did say he had more success with the Arizona variety. He mentioned it's important to collect trees with a shallow root mass, usually found on top of granite bedrock.

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
So far I'm aware of Greg having had collected and cared for manzanita long term successfully. The GSBF link is broken but I can send pictures of the article to anyone really interested. Over the years there has been some displayed at the GSBF show but I've heard they're no longer alive.

I recall seeing @yenling83 having some he grew from younger stock (not collected?) that looked pretty interesting.

Greastart

Sapling
Reaction score
Wow Atrox, that is a big one compared to the scronny ones I grabbed. Well done.

It probably goes without saying that I don't know what back budding is, And a flush is? I assume new growth.

Now that I see that it is possible to dig a big one, I will have to look around for another project.

And thank you Potawatomi, a good read.

I also think I will go scout around and try to air layer some of the ones growing around the place.

Also: I just assumed the natural soil they are growing in was the best to use to start them off, but have read the pumice and other substrates are better. Why and if so how do I switch the natural soil and change to the other without messing with the roots too much?

Thanks
Hey Craig, How 'bout an update? I'm in Nor Cal with manzanita everywhere. Have successfully dug a few small ones but have yet to attempt an air layer.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think this is Greg Brendens

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That’s a very nice one. Yours? What can you tell us about it?

I followed up with "I think this is Greg Brendens" and I think he is a member here. That photo is from over ten years ago. BIB show in 2009 I believe.

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
I followed up with "I think this is Greg Brendens" and I think he is a member here. That photo is from over ten years ago. BIB show in 2009 I believe.

Opps..missed the follow up before I posted. Thanks for sharing.

Top Bottom