Manzanita for Tanuki wood?

grizzlywon

Shohin
Reaction score
Fresno, CA. Were all the food comes from if we ha
USDA Zone
9A
I just read a post by Ryan on Tanuki and was also up in the mountains this entire weekend surrounded by lots of bear Manzanita trees both alive and dead. It got me thinking. While I have heard Manzanita is a very challenging species to use in Bonsai, what about the dead wood? Can it be successfully used for Tanuki/Phoenix Grafts. IE. adding Juniper to it.

The wood is amazingly beautiful, just wondering if it holds up in the weather.

How about treating it with wood hardener etc?

I hope so, cause I have permission to collect in some great areas.

Yamadori

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That is a good question. One I would like to know the answer to since it is all around me. I can say that the natural deadwood on the manzanita here lasts a long time but it is usually above moist ground most of the time.

garywood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think the composition would look wonderful. I love the manzania wood. BUT I don't think it would make a convincing tanuki because of the differing grain texture and color of juniper,If juniper is what is to be used. Manzanita on Manzanita could solve some of the collecting problems most people have. I know young manzanita transplants fairly easy. Wood

LeonardB

Shohin
Reaction score
I think the composition would look wonderful. I love the manzania wood. BUT I don't think it would make a convincing tanuki because of the differing grain texture and color of juniper,If juniper is what is to be used. Manzanita on Manzanita could solve some of the collecting problems most people have. I know young manzanita transplants fairly easy. Wood
I have been using it for quite a while now and find some junipers to be close enough to match some of the colors I have found collecting ( notice on some of Ryan Neils yamadori how the natural reddish tones are contrasted with deadwood).
Of course, finding the right tree and letting it grow to bonsai maturity.
Here are some I am working on now ( but don't expect to be dramatic for a few years yet).Tanuki - 2016-07.jpg 02-10-17b Driftwood.jpg 02-10-17b Driftwood.jpg Tanuki - 2016-07.jpg 02-10-17b Driftwood.jpg Tanuki - 2016-07.jpg 02-10-17b Driftwood.jpg

Attachments

• Tanuki - 2016-06.jpg
    Tanuki - 2016-06.jpg
    233.6 KB · Views: 8
Top Bottom