Maple Bark Damage

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I'm super jealous that so many people on this forum can't identify that damage. I unfortunately can. That is what squirrels do to my maples too. I actually stopped growing them, that was one of the reasons. They will go even harder on elms if you dare to put one where they can get it

bobbywett

Mame
Reaction score
Hershey, PA Plant Zone 6b South Central PA
USDA Zone
6b
I'm super jealous that so many people on this forum can't identify that damage. I unfortunately can. That is what squirrels do to my maples too. I actually stopped growing them, that was one of the reasons. They will go even harder on elms if you dare to put one where they can get it
I’m getting ready to break out the pellet gun

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I trapped and relocated more than I could count. In the city the just keep coming back they’re everywhere. It seems that they are most “bitey” in the spring when winter stores have run dry but nothing is mature vegetation wise. These are pics of one of my best trees that got hit this spring. I can’t keep anything on they ground but the benches seem safe for now

Attachments

• 1B5B0777-817F-4745-A637-2F2E892200C2.jpeg
    1B5B0777-817F-4745-A637-2F2E892200C2.jpeg
    177.5 KB · Views: 18
  • F7C000D5-2AA0-44FF-95B2-E706B6F52F48.jpeg
    F7C000D5-2AA0-44FF-95B2-E706B6F52F48.jpeg
    196.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 30B20DFD-2CE9-4660-A7D2-B1F5CA4F651D.jpeg
    30B20DFD-2CE9-4660-A7D2-B1F5CA4F651D.jpeg
    157.2 KB · Views: 19

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
My grandpa wanted to get rid of the squirrels in his yard, so he started trapping and relocating them. After catching over 100 squirrels that summer, he realized it's not possible. There are too many and they fill the void left by the relocated ones immediately.

My guess is squirrel as well. I had a big single bite taken out of one of my oak trees a while back. It dug in it's two bucked teeth and ripped a small piece of bark right off the tree.

bobbywett

Mame
Reaction score
Hershey, PA Plant Zone 6b South Central PA
USDA Zone
6b
I trapped and relocated more than I could count. In the city the just keep coming back they’re everywhere. It seems that they are most “bitey” in the spring when winter stores have run dry but nothing is mature vegetation wise. These are pics of one of my best trees that got hit this spring. I can’t keep anything on they ground but the benches seem safe for now
Man they hammered your trees😢

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Take that piece of bark and put a few drops of maple syrup on it and put that in a trap.

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
If shooting animals brings you joy, then go for it. I just don't think it's going to solve your problem for very long. You'll have to keep shooting and shooting for eternity. Their voids will be filled quickly. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Protecting the tree with a physical barrier, in my humble opinion, is the most effective way to fix your issue.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yup. Definitely a squirrel. And they like to climb in the evening hours.…or any hours. They are fast and furious.

Firstflush

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3-4
Try a product called Uncle Ian’s. It is stanky blood meal and red pepper. Prey animals don’t like the smell of blood and when they do take a sniff they get a nose full of red pepper. You have to reapply if it gets wet, however it is a great shot of nitrogen when it breaks down.

I have had success with moles, gophers, raccoons, rats and opossums with the stuff. Might have even worked on skunks.

Top Bottom