maple bark which one

robert gardner

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
which maple has the best bark a acerp palmatim or an Ibo juhi maple. I am trying to buy two of the Ibo juhi but no luck yet. I would really like to know which
has the best rough bark. they ill be added to my slowly growing Japanese maple collection. Please RESPOND WITH POSTIVE COMMENTS as these trees are important to me.
Thanks,
Robert Gardner

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
the best bark
I would say that is very personal. What one likes is not someone elses cup of tea?

I do not know the Ibo Juhi. Personally, I favour 'nishiki gawa', pine bark jaanese maple, over arakawa.

From the web:

Arakawa
1617604493536.png

Nishiki gawa
1617604385829.png

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What I gathered there is a price to be paid for nice bark on maples that isnt only monetary
Arakawa - top dying in many cases, doesnt sprout from thick bark
Nishiki gawa - very difficult to get at all and if I remember right what the valavanis guy said have significant issues too

Maybe these issues can be dealt with, I think Mach5 has a great arakawa

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What I gathered there is a price to be paid for nice bark on maples that isnt only monetary
Nishiki gawa - very difficult to get at all and if I remember right what the valavanis guy said have significant issues too

Interesting. Never hear that arakawa had these issues.

Availability of Nishiki gawa is indeed an issue, which is why I am growing them from 1/2 ft junior grafted nursery plants. Made the mistake of ordering two arakawa and two nishiki gawa and not labelling them, so now I am not sure which is which. Time will tell I suppose :)

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Interesting. Never hear that arakawa had these issues.

Availability of Nishiki gawa is indeed an issue, which is why I am growing them from 1/2 ft junior grafted nursery plants. Made the mistake of ordering two arakawa and two nishiki gawa and not labelling them, so now I am not sure which is which. Time will tell I suppose :)

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Made the mistake of ordering two arakawa and two nishiki gawa and not labelling them, so now I am not sure which is which. Time will tell I suppose
A constant dilemma with plants at my house. You would think I would learn that I cannot just trust my memory any more.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You would think I would learn that I cannot just trust my memory any more
That, plus.. Getting grafted whips with no sidebranches.. No identifyinf characteristics whatsoever. Very similar leaves. Bark the same..

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
You would think I would learn that I cannot just trust my memory any more.
Just wait. The worse is when you start having false memories :)

"Didn't I say that? Well I guess I was thinking of saying it... but it never made it out of my mouth :)"

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Last year I forgot to label a pot that had some maple cuttings. Well last week I was repotting and found that pot. I'm lucking because I believe those cuttings could only be from two different trees a normal green JM or Sango kaku cultivar. So now I just have to wait till this winter to see if it has the red branches.

Trying to distinguish Arakawa and Nishiki gawa will be tough.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks guys for the alternates, but it is my memory. At least some leaves are coming out to help me now.

Meadowmorph

Seedling
Reaction score

This spring I purchased a nishiki gawa for $30, U.S. I don't see a date posted here, so I apologize if this was originally [posted 4 years ago. Anyway, I'd like to know what the significant issues are so that I would be able to look out for them. I really like the look of the pine bark effect; it make them appear older and that's what we are all looking for in a miniature tree. I'm nearly 70 years old and I don't have a tremendous number of years to see this mature (but who knows? I might live to 90 and 89 of those years could be in great health health! Fingers crossed). They said this tree was 6 years old when I purchased, but it's been grafted and that might only be the root stock.

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This spring I purchased a nishiki gawa for $30, U.S. I don't see a date posted here, so I apologize if this was originally [posted 4 years ago. Anyway, I'd like to know what the significant issues are so that I would be able to look out for them. I really like the look of the pine bark effect; it make them appear older and that's what we are all looking for in a miniature tree. I'm nearly 70 years old and I don't have a tremendous number of years to see this mature (but who knows? I might live to 90 and 89 of those years could be in great health health! Fingers crossed). They said this tree was 6 years old when I purchased, but it's been grafted and that might only be the root stock.
If you post a picture we can advise better. I did a lot of groundlayers lately and most took. Rough barked Japanese Maples should root just fine. About the nishiki gawa issues:
I had just heard about them on some video on YouTube with Bill Valavanis. I dont remember which one.

But I have here J. D. Vertrees book on Japanese Maples. The only relevant thing I could find quickly is this: "This plant is currently the only vigorous pine-bark cultivar"
I wouldnt worry too much about it. Just keep it healthy with well draining soil and decent fertilizer.

Top Bottom