Maple Bonsai Critique

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
I recently just made a maple forest and would like to see a lot of critiques on this ! Please critique this maple forest so I can learn from them !

Attachments

• 7048130D-7101-4C6C-A828-F199DEE4FE86.jpeg
    7048130D-7101-4C6C-A828-F199DEE4FE86.jpeg
    190.2 KB · Views: 161
  • C1E8078B-53FF-4F9A-AE5B-F24B87511740.jpeg
    C1E8078B-53FF-4F9A-AE5B-F24B87511740.jpeg
    160.7 KB · Views: 149
Reaction score
As you will surely recognise these are seedlings in a pot. They need to grow and mature. They should have different trunk lengths and diameters and possibly a different arrangement as they are, as of now, all planted in a single line.

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
As you will surely recognise these are seedlings in a pot. They need to grow and mature. They should have different trunk lengths and diameters and possibly a different arrangement as they are, as of now, all planted in a single line.
Thanks so much and yes they were just made like an hour ago. I hope they will look amazing in a couple years !

StarGazer

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
@Njyamadori, since you wired these trees, you could also add some curves to the trunks so that they are not perfectly straight as they develop, in particular trees 1,3 and 4 from left to right. Keep in mind that development on a pot will be slower than in a larger container.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Small context, not a good time to be making maple forests.

Large context, time to make a few more maple forests.

There will be more to critique of your intentions.
What are your intentions?

Sorce

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
@Njyamadori, since you wired these trees, you could also add some curves to the trunks so that they are not perfectly straight as they develop, in particular trees 1,3 and 4 from left to right. Keep in mind that development on a pot will be slower than in a larger container.
Thanks

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice to see you get your hands dirty.

As suggested above, use the wire to put some bends in there. Make sure that you put the bends in the trees in a similar way, as if all trees have experiences the same weatherinfluences shaping them (As you would in a forest!).

As it matures, add small saplings to the forest, on the outsides. This way you will get a natural variation in sizes, with the younger plants at the edge of the forest. For the first years, let the trees shoot for a season before cutting back. That will envourage thickening of the trunks.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I can see these are really young trees so there is still a way to go in development but congrats on getting started.
Groups were mentioned at our last club meeting a few days ago. One pertinent factor with group plantings that only becomes obvious after a few years is that outer trees tend to have more root room and get more light. As a result they tend to grow and thicken more than any interior trees. Before you realize it, the outer trees which should be thinnest, have overtaken the inner ones. Jut need to be aware and prune with that in mind. More off the outer trees whenever you trim. This group only ahs a few trees so the issue may not be quite as important as a more extensive group.
As far as design, this one is like most first groups. Trunks appear to be almost evenly spaced. It seems to be subconscious for us as humans to space things evenly and, even after you are aware it is hard to counteract. The idea of group plantings is to show something like a natural forest which will have trunks at random spacings - some grow very close while others are further apart. I find it helps to put at least one tree really close to one other - almost twin trunk, and another one closer to twice the average spacing. That will help give a better impression of natural randomness. Please don't make changes to this one now. Next spring will be a better time to make any adjustments and you will have had time to consider the arrangement more fully by then. Groups are usually quite easy to adjust for 2-3 years after they are first assembled. After that the intertwined roots make it more challenging to change the layout.

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
I can see these are really young trees so there is still a way to go in development but congrats on getting started.
Groups were mentioned at our last club meeting a few days ago. One pertinent factor with group plantings that only becomes obvious after a few years is that outer trees tend to have more root room and get more light. As a result they tend to grow and thicken more than any interior trees. Before you realize it, the outer trees which should be thinnest, have overtaken the inner ones. Jut need to be aware and prune with that in mind. More off the outer trees whenever you trim. This group only ahs a few trees so the issue may not be quite as important as a more extensive group.
As far as design, this one is like most first groups. Trunks appear to be almost evenly spaced. It seems to be subconscious for us as humans to space things evenly and, even after you are aware it is hard to counteract. The idea of group plantings is to show something like a natural forest which will have trunks at random spacings - some grow very close while others are further apart. I find it helps to put at least one tree really close to one other - almost twin trunk, and another one closer to twice the average spacing. That will help give a better impression of natural randomness. Please don't make changes to this one now. Next spring will be a better time to make any adjustments and you will have had time to consider the arrangement more fully by then. Groups are usually quite easy to adjust for 2-3 years after they are first assembled. After that the intertwined roots make it more challenging to change the layout.
I was thinking of adding a thicker and bigger maple in this and maybe with some nebari if I’m lucky . Should I add it ?

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
1 or 2 trees with more girth and age would make a big difference. Groups with more trees usually look better too.
You did note the comment that it is not a good time of year to b making maple forest? The more you muck around no the less chance that all the trees will survive. I would be patient until spring before any further work.

Patience is really valuable for good bonsai. I spend 2-3 or more years just growing the individual trees before I even assemble groups. The better the trees the better the group.

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
1 or 2 trees with more girth and age would make a big difference. Groups with more trees usually look better too.
You did note the comment that it is not a good time of year to b making maple forest? The more you muck around no the less chance that all the trees will survive. I would be patient until spring before any further work.

Patience is really valuable for good bonsai. I spend 2-3 or more years just growing the individual trees before I even assemble groups. The better the trees the better the group.
Thanks very much. I’m guessing collecting a lot first for a couple years is good

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks so much and yes they were just made like an hour ago. I hope they will look amazing in a couple years !

You know that thread where you asked about getting amazing bonsai?
These seedlings will take more than a few years to get big enough to really look like something.
Fortunately for you, you have time.

I also mentioned learning when I responded to you in that thread.
Do you know that now is the wrong time to repot maples and just about all trees where you are?
Its fall, trees are getting ready for winter. We do most of our repotting in very early spring.
You need to learn the right timing to do things for the species you are working with.

I understand your enthusiasm and the feeling that you want to do SOMETHING.
This is good practice, however, these little trees might not survive being repotted in fall.

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
You know that thread where you asked about getting amazing bonsai?
These seedlings will take more than a few years to get big enough to really look like something.
Fortunately for you, you have time.

I also mentioned learning when I responded to you in that thread.
Do you know that now is the wrong time to repot maples and just about all trees where you are?
Its fall, trees are getting ready for winter. We do most of our repotting in very early spring.
You need to learn the right timing to do things for the species you are working with.

I understand your enthusiasm and the feeling that you want to do SOMETHING.
This is good practice, however, these little trees might not survive being repotted in fall.
Also is there anything I can do in the fall for bonsai ? Can I still make bonsai in the fall ?

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Oh nice thanks so much ! I also started a convo with you . Sorry for annoying you so much lol
No problem, I answered you. Just dont expect a quick answer all the time. I happen to be here at the moment.
Patience Padawan

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Also is there anything I can do in the fall for bonsai ? Can I still make bonsai in the fall ?
One of Bjorn's recent videos (link) has three broadleaf trees that are beginner friendly. Third one is Gardenia - easy to work with and pretty tough.

It's getting late in the season, but maybe you can find one in the bargain bin at Home Depot.

Top Bottom