Maple bonsai possibilities

DenisTe

Seed
Reaction score
Hello, i live in Europe, Lithuania. I am a beginner when it comes to bonsai and i need some help. I`d like to make Acer palmatum SHAINA in to a " big " bonsai. The starting point would look something like the photo. I`ll be planting it in a very big plastic bowl with lots of holes in it so i could control the root ball and so the roots could go through the holes in to the ground. I think that in this way i would not let my tree to grow "out of control" + it will be thickening it`s trunk. The problem is that it is my first outdoor bonsai and i would like to know if it is even possible to do what i`m planning to do with this type of tree. English is not my main language so im sorry if all of you are struggling to understand what i`m asking. By the way it is said that this tree is a bushy type
Photos: Capture (1).PNGCapture (2).PNG

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Welcome to the forum! Don't worry about your English - its quite a bit better than my Lithuanian! I don't personally grow this type of Maple, but what you are thinking should work fine. My advice would be to go to your local aquarium store or garden store and ask if they sell pond baskets. They are used for aquatic landscaping. Many people use them for developing bonsai in the way that you are describing.

This is what they look like: (Not my tree pictured - Maybe Jerry Norbury's tree I just stole it from google images)

k5AgIhettfk_UMDRBm-iQAZgdx5lBXmff9JJ87koYyE.jpg

DenisTe

Seed
Reaction score
Alright, thank you so much for your help! Should be getting a few of these beautiful trees just before my 20th birthday. So excited!!😄

Top Bottom