Maple Deadwood Work

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
looks really good.... and I am still jealous :) ..... I can't believe I missed seeing the work you did before... it looks excellent....

my only critique and its a small one I promise... that the apex on top mid of the tree looks to straight from this angle... you might want to work to get more movement in there (either by wire or pruning) .... again this is a beautiful tree and you have done a great job....

bravo!

dpowell

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Thanks Eric, it looks much better now that it's out of a nursery can and you can see the nebari. That's a good catch although the picture is a little misleading. I'm attempting to bring up a back branch to act as an apex, but it needs a lot of growth and is hidden in the current picture. Walter Pall has a Japanese maple that I have to admit I'm using as inspiration for this tree. The branch that looks like the current apex will probably be removed in the future and the true front of the tree will probably be 15-20 degrees to the right so that thick branch on the left is poking you in the eye. I didn't use thick enough wire for some of the larger branches so they need some further bending. I'm also not really happy with the top of the deadwood and some of the dead roots need to be worked on. . . the list goes on :)

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Great job dpowell! I agree, your dead wood work is very nice indeed and looks very natural which is always a challenge. I took the liberty (so forgive me) of doing a quick virtual to see how your tree may look down the road. Again great job!

japanesemaplevirt.jpg

dpowell

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Unfortunately the tree died later in the summer after this work was done. My guess, which is probably wrong because my plant physiology knowledge is limited, is that I removed too much of the heartwood which limited the amount of water the foliage received. The leaves appeared to be wilting even though there were plenty of roots remaining.

B.uneasy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thank you for the reply, I am sorry to hear that. Very beautiful tree. I am looking to air layer a very big Acer Rubrum stump and carve a hole in the trunk like this but with actual character. Ive been searching for ideas

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Dude just popped on here and responded to a question on his 8 year old thread within 30 minutes, despite clearly not using this site very much. Someone needs to appreciate that. I'll be the guy.

P.S sorry about the tree

Top Bottom