maple disease problem...help needed

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I have had a problem this year with whatever this is. I have had it on my roses and now my maples. The maple shown here is Acer palmatium, Green leafed. As you can see the problem is only affecting the very new growth as it did on my roses. I see no bugs under scope so only assume it is a fungus. I will spray with Daconil. Per directions 1 1/2 tsp per gal??? I'm going to assume that any leaf that is affected will wither and die and should be removed?? Any suggestions or thoughts are appreciated. Thanks, Peter

Attachments

• IMG_0656.jpg
    IMG_0656.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0657.jpg
    IMG_0657.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_0658.jpg
    IMG_0658.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0659.jpg
    IMG_0659.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_0660.jpg
    IMG_0660.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0661.jpg
    IMG_0661.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0662.jpg
    IMG_0662.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 54

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have had a problem this year with whatever this is. I have had it on my roses and now my maples. The maple shown here is Acer palmatium, Green leafed. As you can see the problem is only affecting the very new growth as it did on my roses. I see no bugs under scope so only assume it is a fungus. I will spray with Daconil. Per directions 1 1/2 tsp per gal??? I'm going to assume that any leaf that is affected will wither and die and should be removed?? Any suggestions or thoughts are appreciated. Thanks, Peter
Hi Peter, perhaps it is my eyes or the pictures, or both. What I see are new leaves unfurling, weaker and shaded by larger leaves above! Most of the affected leaves appear to be in the interior under the canopy as it were!
I would experiment by thinning a section and seeing if the interior improves.

Perhaps a close up would show the fungal effect you suspect. I did clean my lenses and tried to expand the photos but the clarity was still not there! I am not noticing any black discolouration or spotting that might indicate a fungal issue.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Frank, you are correct in that some of the new growth is on the inside and a little shaded, but I do not consider that the problem. Yes the leaves are withered a bit and curled under. The underside of the leaves has almost a transparent like film on them that separates from the bottom of the leaf if rubbed. It is not something that has formed on there, it seems to be a part of the leaf. A few leaves have just withered and died off. I just assumed that if it was not a bug, it was fungus. I have no clue what it might be. I did spray with Daconil this am. We will see. Thanks for input

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Frank, you are correct in that some of the new growth is on the inside and a little shaded, but I do not consider that the problem. Yes the leaves are withered a bit and curled under. The underside of the leaves has almost a transparent like film on them that separates from the bottom of the leaf if rubbed. It is not something that has formed on there, it seems to be a part of the leaf. A few leaves have just withered and died off. I just assumed that if it was not a bug, it was fungus. I have no clue what it might be. I did spray with Daconil this am. We will see. Thanks for input
Thanks for the clarification! Let us know how this progresses! Sometimes there are temporary stresses that affect new development for a short period of time. Will be interesting to see what happens, or if other symptoms occur that are easier to spot!

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Did you do anything new with your care? Apply fertilizer?

Though it doesn't look like fungus to me, I agree that I would probably apply a fungicide just as a preventative measure.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Nothing new that I can think of. The roses got it first and then this maple. The roses have recovered, but the leaves originally affected are still wrinkled looking. I took a couple of pictures of the rose leaves. You can see the difference between the once affected leaves and the newer leaves. the leaves encircled in orange are the original affected ones on the rose.

Attachments

• IMG_0664_LI (3).jpg
    IMG_0664_LI (3).jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0665_LI.jpg
    IMG_0665_LI.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0666_LI.jpg
    IMG_0666_LI.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 33

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The one common fungal issue that can infect both maples and roses appears to be powdery mildew! It also seems to present itself differently on the species! The pictures of your rose leaves seem to show some present! On the maples it would appear primarily as distorted new buds and emerging leaves according to research articles!
The commentary notes that it does not always present on the top surface of the leaf as a sugary white display, but can also appear as a white filament look on the underside of the mature Rose leaves!
Treatment is a fungicide and improved air circulation! Neem oil mentioned in several articles.
Just some thoughts.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Good job Frank! I believe that is it! I surely would have missed that because no powder on the top of the leaves. When you got to the part about the "filament look on the underside of the mature Rose leaves", I knew you had it. Thanks for that help and I will keep on with the Daconil. I am still amazed at your determination!

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Good job Frank! I believe that is it! I surely would have missed that because no powder on the top of the leaves. When you got to the part about the "filament look on the underside of the mature Rose leaves", I knew you had it. Thanks for that help and I will keep on with the Daconil. I am still amazed at your determination!
It is the Irish ancestry! I refer to it as perseverance! My bonnie Scottish wife prefers the term stubborn! Ah well! Cannot be to bad, just celebrated 51 years married the beginning of this month!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Everyone in Oregon has been having maple problems the last couple years. It could be a number of issues, but Daconil seems to clear it up. Don't use copper at the same time!

I use a little graduated measuring flask and convert to ounces or ml. because I use a 32 oz. spray bottle to mix pesticides in. Of course, divide by 4 to get the rate per quart.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Is everybody using 1.5 Tsp per gallon H2O and how often in necessary?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Just follow the label, I believe it said every 10 days? I usually go with 5-6 applications, and reapply while dormant a few times. It seems safe to apply all season, but I've never had to do that for bonsai. When I used to be a landscape contractor, big trees are often hit really hard and take longer to build up systemics.

NOZZLE HEAD

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I like potassium bicarbonate in the mix for a powdery mildew issue, super cheap softer fungicide, and it has a better “knockdown” for P.M. than most things.

Adding in a systemic would be nice too.

link

Seed
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have seen this inward curling of the leaves before and is likely due to a root problem. Here is a link of a post from last summer.

I think Jonas also that same problem a while ago as well. In this post they shared some lab diagnosis and these included: Cylindrocarpon Disease, Pythium and Phoma ssp.
Remove any fertilizer and try Cleary's 3336 granular. Let us know how it goes.

Top Bottom