Maple flowers

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't know if you have ever had your maples flower, but this Makawa yatsabusha makes a regular habit of it. It will make seed too, but I have never grown any before. Thinking of sprouting a bunch this year, like I need more Japanese Maples, just to see what comes of it.IMG_20180508_082541344.jpg

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I have quite a few Japanese maple cultivars, most of them in big garden pots, and a lot bear flowers and then samarras.

On my bonsai, almost none of them flower, whatever their age.

But this year, a friend spotted some flowers I hadn't seen on this A. p. 'Phoenix' from air-layering, 25 cm tall (ten inches) :

acerph05_180415a.jpg

But the flowers fell off after a couple of days.

On larger trees that are not regularly pruned, you can have fruit, but the chance the seedlings you can get are true to the cultivars are very slim. It's fun though because sometimes they just partially revert to the parent plant or hybridize, and you can find an interesting seedling sometimes: that's how new cultivars appear.

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have often seen that pruning will stimulate flowering and fruiting. This tree was hit by avalanche snow coming off the roof this winter. The tree was under the eaves, but the tip of a bottom branch got caught and it tore it off at the trunk, a good sized limb. This spring, voilà! flowers. I have also seen juniper throw a batch of berries the season after cutting them back. I am not saying that is normal, but strange things happen in the Pacific Northwest.

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have often seen that pruning will stimulate flowering and fruiting. This tree was hit by avalanche snow coming off the roof this winter. The tree was under the eaves, but the tip of a bottom branch got caught and it tore it off at the trunk, a good sized limb. This spring, voilà! flowers. I have also seen juniper throw a batch of berries the season after cutting them back. I am not saying that is normal, but strange things happen in the Pacific Northwest.
In cases of trees that are in the refinement stages you are always removing the flowering parts in the effort of ramification. That's right where you are working, so you don't see flowers.

sparklemotion

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Hmmm... I hadn't realized that maple bonsai don't tend to flower. I was a little miffed at how much the Club Elders here push Safari and other imidaclorpid-based systemics, because maple trees are important pollen sources for honeybees around here.

If maples in training aren't likely to flower as profusely, I feel a lot better applying neonics.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Flowers and samarras on...

'Orange Dream'

acer-div-orangedream_150410a.jpg

'Dissectum atropurpureum'
acer-div-diss-atro_160423a.jpg

acer-div-diss-atro_160507a.jpg

'Dissectum viridis'

acer-div-dissectum_170401a.jpg

'O sakazuki'

acer-div-osakazuki_150412a.jpg

acer-div-osakazuki_160423b.jpg

acer-div-osakazuk_sami_160527a.jpg

Acer palmatum palmatum
acer-div-palm_160406a.jpg

'Shishigashira' 'Crispii'
acerp-shishigashira_170324a.jpg

Here (Orléans, France), 2016 was an excellent year for seeds, 2017 not too bad, but this year there were very few flowers and most of them self-aborted.

baron

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Found lots of maples flowering maple's at Danny's place this weekend where I take classes.
Many different species too, but only snapped a few to share here.

IMG_1690.JPG IMG_1691.JPG

IMG_1697.JPG IMG_1696.JPG

IMG_1732.JPG IMG_1733.JPG

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I've just read a message on a French forum saying that this year seems a good year for maple flowers here.

Here is the first set of flowers since I've had this A. p. 'Emerald Lace' :

acerp-emerald_190331a.jpg

Another beautiful cultivar :

acerp-emerald_150722a.jpg acerp-emerald_151027a.jpg

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
An 'Orange Dream' that needs a backbranch above the first two ones, for depth and filling a big awkward space. And the "nebari" sucks.

But it's the first time I've seen such a small tree (about 30 cm, 1 foot) bear so many flowers :

acerp_orangedream01_190331b.jpg

Cattwooduk

Shohin
Reaction score
My Beni Hagoromo is pretty covered this year! None of my others showing any signs of flowering at the moment.
Best I could do with my phone camera as it wouldn't focus any closer!
20190331_182341.jpg20190331_182350.jpg20190331_182351.jpg

garywood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It helps to notice the difference between male and female flowers. Especially if you are interested in doing crosses. The shoot on top is a Male Amur and the bottom shoot is Female Trident.
1554067730203.jpeg1554067730203.jpeg

Cattwooduk

Shohin
Reaction score
Great maple cultivar !

I have two, each slightly different in colour from the other, but none of them have had seeds so far.

I hope it will give viable seeds, you might get interesting sports...

Yes it's one of my favourites varieties I own, first time it has flowered since I bought it. I will be collecting the seeds to see if anything comes of them next spring for sure.

Top Bottom