Maple forest purchase. Any styling tip is welcome.

Erwin

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Hi, so i bought this a few weeks back. My first japanese maple this and a forest at that. Since i do not want to kill this (killed so many in the years) i thought i'd ask advice.
For caring i have it placed on a fairly windstill place on the south. I live in the NL and we did not really have full sun but i understood i wil need to cover any direct sunlight so i was able to create some shadow also. I als placed some bio pellets (N: 6 - P: 5-K: 2)
I did defoliate a few leaves that were burned or looked to big, kept the stem as to do that correctly.
My questions i think are how to proceed in developing this, the styling and and the horizon in pruning. I think i have to wait with any pruning and wiring until dormancy is this correct? Repotting is probably not a thing yet since they are so young and look just established for a year or so. Well i would love to get some advice if anyone has some.

Attachments

• f1.png
    f1.png
    523.9 KB · Views: 45
  • f2.png
    f2.png
    518.7 KB · Views: 43
  • f3.png
    f3.png
    466.2 KB · Views: 37
  • f4.png
    f4.png
    502.1 KB · Views: 43

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Welcome to the site!

The first thing many people are going to say is that it will be very difficult to keep a Japanese maple indoors. They are not tropical trees, and require a cold dormancy each year, even if you can provide enough light via a large south-facing window. Do you have an outdoor space you can place your tree?

Erwin

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Hi, thanks for responding. I forget to metion i guess but it has a place outdoors :)
.. on the south, i live in The Netherlands, Western Europe

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Your forest is in a very small pot. Such a pot will dry out in a single hot day. You must water properly as the tree needs it. That may be every day. It may be every second day or it could be twice a day or even more on hot days now that it is summer. Always check the soil moisture and only water when the soil needs water but then water well so the water goes right through to the middle of the roots.
Outdoors on the south is good but protect from sun in the afternoon. More shade if the pot dries out too much in the afternoon.

It is much more difficult to keep really small bonsai alive and healthy. Larger trees are easier to manage for beginners.

Top Bottom