Maple from garden center. Would you buy it?

maten

Seedling
Reaction score
I am keeping an eye on the japanese maples in the local garden centers for a while now and what they typically have are the landscaping cultivars for ridiculous price. This Katsura is the first one which might have some potential for bonsai and it is on 50% discount now.

The trunk is about 3 cm thick and the graft is nice, barely visible but I don't feel an even nebari under the soil. I far as I could investigate the roots there is a single thick one on one side close to the soil level and the others are probably way below. I can feel some inverse taper below that thick root, so eventually I would need to layer it somewhere above the graft.
What do you think about this particular tree? Worth the effort?

How does Katsura behave e.g. compared to the standard palmatum? I am not looking for this particular cultivar but I have barely seen any other that is suitable for bonsai. I am aiming for smaller (max 30-40 cm) bonsais.

Attachments

• IMG_20210821_175102.jpg
    IMG_20210821_175102.jpg
    290.9 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_20210821_175150.jpg
    IMG_20210821_175150.jpg
    256.3 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_20210821_175108.jpg
    IMG_20210821_175108.jpg
    276.9 KB · Views: 157

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
50% discount is good but what is the original price. 50% of 1000 is still 500 which is too much. Looks like a grafted tree so how is is the price after discount?

maten

Seedling
Reaction score
50% discount is good but what is the original price. 50% of 1000 is still 500 which is too much. Looks like a grafted tree so how is is the price after discount?
Well, I intentionally didn't write the actual price because it is hard to judge whether it worth or not if someone is not familiar with the local market. I live in Norway, the prices are very high in general and the selection is poor in almost anything compared to the EU or US. The original price is 2500 NOK which translates to 280 USD or 240 EUR but here e.g. a can of beer is also around 40 NOK ~4.5USD. The pencil thick maple saplings went for 300 NOK earlier this year, the finger thick ones are around 1500 NOK. These are unfortunately pretty standard prices in all arden centers.
So I could buy the one I posted for 1250 NOK the price of about 31 can of beers :) which is still expensive but my options are limited.

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I got a shishigashira maple for my b-day a couple months ago. It looks very similar in size to your pics. It cost $129 here in a big box store. $140 in a place where they are hard to find doesn't sound too unreasonable compared to $129.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
For me personally, no this would not be worth it for that price,
BUT
I have plenty of good material available for that price and cheaper.

There is really nothing else nearby?
What are the import restrictions in your country?
There are bonsai places in the EU if you have the ability to have trees shipped to you.

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Well, I intentionally didn't write the actual price because it is hard to judge whether it worth or not if someone is not familiar with the local market. I live in Norway, the prices are very high in general and the selection is poor in almost anything compared to the EU or US. The original price is 2500 NOK which translates to 280 USD or 240 EUR but here e.g. a can of beer is also around 40 NOK ~4.5USD. The pencil thick maple saplings went for 300 NOK earlier this year, the finger thick ones are around 1500 NOK. These are unfortunately pretty standard prices in all arden centers.
So I could buy the one I posted for 1250 NOK the price of about 31 can of beers :) which is still expensive but my options are limited.
If it is something hard to find in your area then I would pick it up. Looks like you could airlayer at the 3-branch junction for a triple trucker. With JM, you only need one and airlayering skills.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Is it really better to have three smaller trees than one larger tree? Boo Hiss

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I've seen worse trees but seems like something I'd pay $50-$100 usd

It can be multifunctional and air layer projects / garden tree. Bringing value out of it

Hack Yeah!

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
If it's hard to find material in your area I'd buy it. Katsura has a beautiful spring color and are very vigorous on their own roots.

Ugo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Hi friend,

As others have said, I would say no.
I made some mistakes myself while buying trees, nothing to regret but I learned from them and still do.

Technical reasons aside I think just the fact you had to ask means you are not sure, which mean you didnt fell in love with the tree for your own reasons.

You should wait and continue your search, for the price you can get a better tree.

maten

Seedling
Reaction score
What are the import restrictions in your country?
There are bonsai places in the EU if you have the ability to have trees shipped to you.
That is also a possibility it increases the options and I would probably find better quality but definitely not cheaper at the end. When I ordered trees from Germany the shipping was 400 customs clearance 300 and also +25% VAT even on the shipping costs... :( It only makes sense to order a lot of stuff at the same time. I will keep an eye on the autumn sales of the European nurseries.

maten

Seedling
Reaction score
Thank you all for the feedbacks! I will go back and check it again. I liked it especially compared to the rest of the available maples but I decided to choose material carefully as I am running out of space on the balcony. I tend to get excited quickly about a new project then partially regretting it. I started my bonsai journey by buying 5 dwarf Alberta spruce for a forest on last Christmas sale in IKEA after incidentally seeing a Peter Chan video. Then I read more about the species and the unsuitability for bonsai.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Space on the balcony in Oslo. What are you planning for over-wintering JM?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The three-way junction would be my stopping point. Removing 2 out of three is needed probably, as they are all the same strength. Doing this would create big scars and -unless you are skilled- often ugly scars. As such, I would be hesitant.

As you are not looking for volume, growing on a balcony, spend time getting quality. Check on import regulations for plants from the EU. There good be a trade agreement. That would allow you a much wider selection and a number of traders in Europe can be trusted to select good trees upon your description.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Thank you all for the feedbacks! I will go back and check it again. I liked it especially compared to the rest of the available maples but I decided to choose material carefully as I am running out of space on the balcony. I tend to get excited quickly about a new project then partially regretting it. I started my bonsai journey by buying 5 dwarf Alberta spruce for a forest on last Christmas sale in IKEA after incidentally seeing a Peter Chan video. Then I read more about the species and the unsuitability for bonsai.
That forest i remember in Peter chan video! Growth on top only and splicing outwards. Best DAS I ever saw. I usually don't like them but that forest looked badass

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I feel like I've answered a lot of questions on here lately that no one's asking, (so sorry if this derails the thread but I'm genuinely trying to be helpful) but if A. palmatum is scarce there, and you're considering spending considerable money for what amounts to a pretty small tree, I'd seriously consider going the seed route. A.p. is easy to start from seed and grow pretty well. The species oftentimes has better bonsai characteristics than the cultivars which are prized in the landscape. They're also likely to be hardier.

And just to offer an answer to the question you did ask, I don't hate the tree as presented. I try to avoid grafts but I'm willing to consider them. Ordinarily, airlayering as a means of propagation usually isn't justified, but in your case it sounds like scarcity might call for it. Its up to you to determine if the price is justified.

Top Bottom