Maple graft scars?

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Rick, this article was the basis of the experiment. Colin wrote that a very long time ago. As you surmised there are some variances to the original technique that enhance it and take it to the next level. I promise do a thread in a few weeks that will show the differences and include some pictures. Right now outside of a few short visits here, I am consumed with the web sites.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Has anyone ever actually used the trunk-scarring method? I have heard it posted about time and again, with razor blades, needles, etc., but have never seen it actually done or the results.

Rick Moquin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have not seen it Chris, but from what I have read (in various circles) is that we merely want to scratch the juvenile bark, not score it as in using a razor blade. From my understanding, a razor blade cuts into deep, and if unsuccessful leaves you with worst results than what you had in the beginning.

Collin's method is gentle for the lack of a better word and should it fail leave little to no evidence of the intrusion, and if so, will heal rapidly, leaving once again little evidence of the intrusion.

Reaction score
i've seen some pics on the dutch forum, they used a hamer first, then spagnum. The result was an old looking trunk. The hamer was a bit to intensive so bigger portions of the bark fell off. For the rest it looked nice. (can't post the pictures, they're not mine) btw. I have a quercus robur out of a hedge, the lower portion looks old and is 1cm bigger than above because of the damp conditions. So it seems to work.
Grts Drk

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have not seen it Chris, but from what I have read (in various circles) is that we merely want to scratch the juvenile bark, not score it as in using a razor blade. From my understanding, a razor blade cuts into deep, and if unsuccessful leaves you with worst results than what you had in the beginning.

The object with a blade is to damage the bark, right down to the wood in selcted places. This is done in order to induce scarring and hence, swelling, where there was none. Like all techniques, if used incorrectly, you get bad results.

Will

Rick Moquin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The object with a blade is to damage the bark, right down to the wood in selcted places. This is done in order to induce scarring and hence, swelling, where there was none.

Will

Different technique all together unless scarring is to be considered bark. I have heard of that method also Will, but in the context in which it was presented it was producing artificially produced scars, not bark perse.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Different technique all together unless scarring is to be considered bark. I have heard of that method also Will, but in the context in which it was presented it was producing artificially produced scars, not bark perse.

Yes, which is why I presented this option in response to the following....

Graft scares are graft scars. Given time the scar will become tough to find. On this tree however the scar is not the issue. It's the different circumferences above and below the graft. I think the question that should be asked is will that differential ever change? Opinions?

Will

fh05

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just saw this post, I was wondering if Tom posted his technique/tips here or somewhere else? appreciate help everybody, Thanks Tom

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I too would like to know if Tom ever posted the information that he said he would.

Top Bottom