Maple Grow Box Question

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I recently started developing a small japanese maple in a grow box. As winter in NY approaches, I realize the roots are all pretty shallowly planted over a tile and I have concerns that I will basically have a maple popsicle come January. I plan to bring the box into an unheated garage, but wanted to know if I should take added measures to overwinter.

sevan

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I'm starting to prepare for my first bonsai winter and thought this video was helpful for me.

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Very helpful. Thank you.

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
His trees are also gorgeous

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I reckon the garage will make need for more added measures than if not in the garage.

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Tree in a pot, seemed like an easy laid-back hobby. Welcome to crazy is more like it.

Here i've been consciously trying to kill a mulberry in my front yard that planted itself more than a decade ago. Ive axed it death, cut its roots - its trunk looks like a broken accordion. And it sends out shoots every season. And I fear I will kill this maple while taking care of it like my child.

sevan

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I decided not to use my garage if I can avoid it so I won't have to deal with lack of airflow or figure out what to do with water that runs out of the pots after watering. However, living in Atlanta, I don't have nearly as many freezing days to deal with as others do.

Top Bottom