Maple Have Potential?

Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Came across this guy on eBay for about $150. I thought branching, nebari, and all look to be there, just wanted other's opinions if it's worth the price. Obviously would require a lot of work as this isn't necessarily a bonsai, but I see potential.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210414-141656.png
    Screenshot_20210414-141656.png
    389.7 KB · Views: 70

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks fairly small. This picture would not be enough for me to spend 150 on a plant.

From what I can see, I would say, better material must be available. But I o not know the Texas market!

Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Looks fairly small. This picture would not be enough for me to spend 150 on a plant.

From what I can see, I would say, better material must be available. But I o not know the Texas market!
Yeah, I get ya, kinda thought the same but figured I'd ask. Maples are hit or miss around here. I feel like most are overpriced as most are maybe 3-5 years old going for $50-$80+ and no where near this. Hard to find many with decent branch structure and actual movement. Oh well, I should focus on the one I have and learn more patience. Lol

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
most are maybe 3-5 years old going for $50-$80+ and no where near this. Hard to find many with decent branch structure and actual movement.
Well.. Than maybe you are anwering your own question? Here, every garden centre sells japanese maples, which are all in fashion and can be had in all shapes, sizes and prices. Trident however.. You could not find one around here.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd be out on all counts.

Price. Look? Shipped. Climate? Graft?

Sorce

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I would not buy without a guarantee from the seller that the maple is cutting grown, not grafted. Photo does not give a good look at the trunk. Many grafts are "fatal flaws" when it comes to maple bonsai. Once in a while a grafted maple makes good bonsai, but majority propagated by grafting are too flawed to be used for bonsai. Give a pass unless you can evaluate trunk.

Top Bottom