Maple ID...Osakazuki possibly

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I started a new thread as to not hijack another one where this photo along with mention of cultivar was named. I had wished to ID a particular tree...with no luck, and feel possibly it was ID's in a thread here in maples. But feel it might be the same cultivar...thoughts? ( @fredman )

That said...
I love Osakazuki. Fantastic autumn colours. Walked through a big tree nursery last year during autumn, and between all the maples, osakazuki really stood out. Blood red all over the tree.
The leaves are big but they reduce well. I took this pic of a standard size leaf, ontop of partially reduced ones...
image.jpg

image.jpg

armetisius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Could not/would not worry about the variety.
Beautiful tree regardless of the name.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Well, if you zoom in then the label on the tree appears to say 'Seigen' so that might be a pointer? Clearly not a spring picture though.
I couldn't make anything from the zoom...but, I don't know my maples either. It's lovely assuming going into fall foliage. Would love to know th variety...in case I find a prebonsai of similar cultivar I may want to grab it up.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Could not/would not worry about the variety.
Beautiful tree regardless of the name.
Was hoping to eventually find the cultivar...to keep an eye out for to eventually find one for my own bench. Thus...I need an ID. ;) It is a beautiful tree. The foliage is breathtaking...​

armetisius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Was hoping to eventually find the cultivar...to keep an eye out for to eventually find one for my own bench. Thus...I need an ID. ;) It is a beautiful tree. The foliage is breathtaking...​

Contact one of the bigger maple specialty nurseries and ask them with your picture.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I think TomB is right. It looks like 'Seigen' or 'Seigen aureum' cultivar and it's written on the label. Here is a downloadable catalogue, it might help.

http://www.maillot-erable.com/en/boutique/28_japanese-maples
Thanks! You and Tom are most likely right. Now...to put that on my list. If I ever stumble on one that catches my fancy I will be fortunate. And know what it is...

Top Bottom