Maple Identification Help please...

Johnathan

Omono
Reaction score
Pulled this out of someone's landscape. They say it was grown from seed many years ago. I asked what kind of maple, and the lady replied, "the beautiful kind"... so with that I dug it up and took it home.

Can someone please help me. Here are a few pictures.

20210326_093521.jpg

20210326_133916.jpg

20210326_172747.jpg

20210326_172752.jpg

20210326_134754.jpg

I hope these pics show enough. Thanks in advance

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Grown from seed as in a volunteer in the landscape?

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
This is a Silver Maple...
Silver maple leaf.JPG
The margins are different, and I don't know how much variation in local families exist, so someone else needs to guess.

Last edited:

Johnathan

Omono
Reaction score
I showed it to a local buddy of mine. He has an amur maple, and the leaves look identical.

Coppersdad

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I carry "Plant Snap", "Plant Net", "What's That Plant" and "ID Weeds" on my phone. "Plant Snap" has been a go-to app for me. The database has grown over the past few years and it really is helpful in the field and away from reference books.
And yes, I carry "ID Weeds" because it's MY go-app whenever I'm working around my own trees.o_O😁

Johnathan

Omono
Reaction score
Thank you everyone. Another question, I basically cut the trunk in half for transportation purposes.

I really want to clean up the look a bit. Eliminate that 3rd little trunk. Possibly hopefully even chop the trunk again...

I know I probably should've just chopped it lower at collection.... but anyways,, would you guys chop it again now or wait until it's recovered?

Johnathan

Omono
Reaction score
Roger that. I think there is a consensus. From this day forward, this shall be a Silver Maple.

Do you guys think its to late to chop those trunks?

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I think you should wait until this critter evolves into it's summer fur, just in case it's something nicer than a Silver and you want to air layer off the parts you don't want on the mother tree. The bark is the wrong color, too. Maybe this is a tree worth seeding, and maybe not.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I wouldn't even consider it and I consider a lot of things others wouldn't.
Sugar I would plant in my yard. Silver I would plant in someone else's yard. ;)
Some of the biggest and oldest trees around my area are Silver Maple clumps.....they just get massive! Trunks 10 feet thick.....3 ton limbs breaking off occasionally smashing a car or sunroom. Pretty trees I think.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Some of the biggest and oldest trees around my area are Silver Maple clumps.....they just get massive! Trunks 10 feet thick.....3 ton limbs breaking off occasionally smashing a car or sunroom. Pretty trees I think.
I have seen some large silver maples but nothing like what you are describing. They were the home builders tree of choice in my area during the late 50s through 1960s because they were cheap, transplanted at near 100% success rate and grew exceptionally fast. The leaves are stunning and fall color is a clear yellow that comes and goes almost as quickly as ginkgo. After a few years they started raising and cracking driveways, sidewalks and in many cases they cracked foundations and ruined water pipes. Then the fun began when they started falling apart with wind and with snow load. They are exceptionally brittle and the destruction they caused was widespread and serious. Several lawsuits ensued. They went from being one of the most widely plant trees to becoming a tree that can hardly be found at any nursery today. They really have not been used as a landscape tree in most areas in decades and have become known as a trash tree. Many urban municipalities have banned them.
As a wild tree (and as another life form) I hold nothing against silver maples, but as a landscape tree they are one of the poorest of all choices.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I have seen some large silver maples but nothing like what you are describing. They were the home builders tree of choice in my area during the late 50s through 1960s because they were cheap, transplanted at near 100% success rate and grew exceptionally fast. The leaves are stunning and fall color is a clear yellow that comes and goes almost as quickly as ginkgo. After a few years they started raising and cracking driveways, sidewalks and in many cases they cracked foundations and ruined water pipes. Then the fun began when they started falling apart with wind and with snow load. They are exceptionally brittle and the destruction they caused was widespread and serious. Several lawsuits ensued. They went from being one of the most widely plant trees to becoming a tree that can hardly be found at any nursery today. They really have not been used as a landscape tree in most areas in decades and have become known as a trash tree. Many urban municipalities have banned them.
As a wild tree (and as another life form) I hold nothing against silver maples, but as a landscape tree they are one of the poorest of all choices.
Except on a golf course or park... They need room to stretch.

Top Bottom