Maple in June

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
will look really nice on a slab or in an oval at some point.

I agree it would look a bit better in an oval. But the current container is a pretty nice Shuho. A bit difficult to source a nice appropriate oval container in these parts. And I don't see myself getting one shipped. But I might have to break down one of these days. A slab might be interesting. Not really my "thing" and I have some concerns horticulturaly.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Slab or oval pot, I agree. I love rectangular pots, but this one (which is beautiful) is too high and not long enough for the composition.

I don't have time to make a virtual, but if it was a bit lower, and longer to the left, the forest on a sort of mound, it would look a little like a "penjing", the left part being very low like the banks of a lake... See what I mean ?

EDIT: more or less, roughly, with an angler sitting under the branches on the left :

lancemac10maplegrove.JPG

Last edited:

Canada Bonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
@LanceMac10 haha this is gonna look great!

At least i know i’m on your will for that cream oval 🤣. I’d like to thank you for that... Can i send you a crate of maple syrup? cigars? hard liquor?

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Un-pulsed from re-pot and 25 degree wind chills with heavy spring snow for good measure.....
DSC00882.JPG

...pre cold shot.....
DSC00865.JPG

...couple beers ago.....
DSC00883.JPG

...start fert this weekend....I watch for rain in the extended forecast and wait until it dries up some. Usually have some organics on already but too much rain/snow. Organics need time to be broken down, not washed away.....

Healthy, but a long bus ride from a great bonsai.

GreatLakesBrad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Wow, this spring foliage is stunning. I really like the composition you have here as well - less “boiler-plate” than most others I have seen.

Second time in an hour - any idea on the cultivar? 😄

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Second time in an hour - any idea on the cultivar? 😄

nope.gif

😁 😁From Bonsai West about eight years ago. Lost a couple trunks the first few years, so A lot of the time was "hands off" to regain vigor. Was in rough shape on their bench. Seems they were a little sparse with their spring watering. But water is money.....never asked the cultivar, doubt they would have a definitive answer. No credit to me for it's composition.

Thanks for the kind comments!:cool:

rodeolthr

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
FWIW, concerning cultivar, this looks like my Osakazuki. I find that it "comes true" from seed, at least the majority. Large chartreuse leaves which hang down initially have blood red "fingertips". The leaves are large with long internodes, but all of that seems to reduce well. The autumn color is bright cherry red, just like the mother tree.

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Nice, Lance! This is coming along. Do you occasionally partially defoliate? I started a forest last year and I noticed that there's so much growth that the leaves shade out the interior and lower branches. I've been occasionally cutting larger leaves to allow light into these areas.

Also do you primarily just let it grow unchecked through the season and then cut back? The internodes I get at the beginning of the season are so long that they're basically unusable.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice, Lance! This is coming along. Do you occasionally partially defoliate? I started a forest last year and I noticed that there's so much growth that the leaves shade out the interior and lower branches. I've been occasionally cutting larger leaves to allow light into these areas.

Also do you primarily just let it grow unchecked through the season and then cut back? The internodes I get at the beginning of the season are so long that they're basically unusable.

Thanks for the kind words of encouragement! Much appreciated! :cool:

I do not partial defoliate. You get "better" results with leaf cutting. A JM might just abandon the branch you defoliate.

I wouldn't defoliate a forest, maybe the outer trees, but it's risky. Keep the trees on the inside of the composition strong, you'll be cutting the perimeter trees more as they tend to get more light.

It's a good idea to remove any leaf that gets too big, or fold it in half and cut the tip.

If your going to de-foliate, work an entire season on building vigor.

I have a lot of the "fancy cultivars", they don't really display tons of vigor. Come out fine in spring but don't generally send a strong second flush.

5-6 leaf sets, then I'll cut. Especially this one. Not sure the inter-nodal distance will reduce much. Working it near a decade and the leaf has barely reduced at all. Still throwing extensions 2' long by mid-May.

Top Bottom