Maple in June

johng

Omono
Reaction score
Looking very nice! It is nice to see trees clumped together and not spaced out all pretty across the pot:)

Now you should convince Mach5 to wire it for you! Not that you can't, he just does a superb job on maples!!

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Awesome! Thanks for the positive comments!:)

I'm getting better with wiring, bit by bit.:eek::mad::rolleyes:

Ha, compare it to a shoelace, Mach5 lacing up a knee-high moccasin....
while Mac10 fumbles about with a pair of "Bing Crosby" house-shoes....:p

By next summer, I'm figuring I can get to "Chuck Taylor":cool:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Lance did you make this grouping?

I friggin love it.

The groupng is excellently done!

Cheers Cheers!

Sorce

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No, can't take the credit. Though I did remove two smaller trunks that were sickly and in a bad spot. It was in pretty tough shape when I got it about three or four years ago. I was fortunate to happen upon it one day and saw the natural appearance like you can so I bought it.

Can't claim to be a very proficient "designer" as of yet, but it'll come. When you first pick up a pencil, you start with stick figures and work your way up...
Once you figure out how to "write your name", you can create your masterpiece.....

I can get a tree to grow like a 'sumbich', so I guess I've got to use the "pen and paper" I've been given and learn to "write my name"....hehehe

Thanks, and we can both say thanks to the person who put it together....whoever that is....

jomawa

Shohin
Reaction score
No. With maples I usually layer a bunch of sphagnum over the top of fresh soil then top with Akadama. I site almost everything I have in full sun so it helps to keep the roots a bit cooler. The mix used for this repot included some Turface, pine bark, a little gravel and I might have used some lava. I can't remember!!

Transitioning to a less organic mix was my plan, but the watering demands are getting out of hand!!
Back to the drawing board as this one needs a repot next spring.
I'm gonna need a bigger boat for this, deeper too......could end up costing me a fortune!!!
I think I'll ask hometeam about a commissioned piece!!!

Lance, going cheap on pots, I've just started using a glass cutting bit (1/2" pipe with fused diamonds to bottom edge. Tried star rotohammer bit in drill press and arrowhead shaped tungsten carbide tile bit, this ceramic laughed at them. ) to bore weep holes in super hard baked fine ceramic oval shaped 7"x14" shallow serving platter, (to hold raft bonsai). Salvaging un-holy ceramic bases, (soap dishes for really small, round bowls for medium, and serving "platters" for largest) at thrift stores, the dollar store, Walmart, kitchen supply stores, etc, then boring. After boring four holes in the platter, can't see any sign of wear on bit. Had water in dish for cooling and taped each hole with foil tape to hold water for next. Serving platter will hold quite a forest.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
DSC01586.JPG

Soon to be time for clippy-clippy.....Lost another trunk this year. Always grows well, 100 degrees on Memorial Day non-withstanding. I'm suspicious it might have some issues.
Weather here was great for humans....mid-upper 90's super low humidity and breezy. Lot's of Maples not happy. I did, however, clock MAJOR poolside time!!:D:D:D:D:D:D

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
View attachment 130561

Soon to be time for clippy-clippy.....Lost another trunk this year. Always grows well, 100 degrees on Memorial Day non-withstanding. I'm suspicious it might have some issues.
Weather here was great for humans....mid-upper 90's super low humidity and breezy. Lot's of Maples not happy. I did, however, clock MAJOR poolside time!!:D:D:D:D:D:D

lvy5NDr.gif

Sorce

Top Bottom