Maple in June

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi,
Inspiring for me who hasn’t built or kept alive a forest yet, or a tree in a bonsai pot YET.
Thank you for the updates.
Charles

If I inspire you in any fashion, that's friggen' awesome!!!:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool: Thanks, mate!!

.....can't take credit for the "build", but it's been, what(?), 5-6 years that I've been schlepping over it!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

not a lot of "progress" I suppose, but it's still here!!!!o_O:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Like the two-tone effect. Had to keep in more shade than I like, but wanted to take a shot at some foliage. Still dried out some. Re-pot this spring so was pretty much left to go "bush"...

Akadama pumice and lava with a heavy emphasis on the Akadama…..I might go back to a more "organic' mix to help with water retention.

DSC00483.JPG

DSC00484.JPG

....gotta' rake and spin it around as it has two good looks.....:D 🤢 😄 😄 😄 😄

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
DSC00488.JPG

DSC00489.JPG

DSC00490.JPG

….yea, some day it will look ok....learning how "bonsai" works and figuring out how to be a parent is a lousy cocktail with little buzz but plenty of hangovers....:rolleyes:;)

and 'cuz I like to leave a little something, since you popped in...….

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nice man! Any plans to bring the branches in tighter? Or do you like the big, full look this gives you in leaf with the longer branches?

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Super jealous of how perfect your maple leaves look, most of the time.
Very glad you get the crispy edges and bits too Lol.
But those older pics, damn, everything is perfect. You are certainly doing something right!

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice man! Any plans to bring the branches in tighter? Or do you like the big, full look this gives you in leaf with the longer branches?

Saw this at Bonsai West when I first started. Doesn't look like much in a photograph, but is/was most impressive in person. Open, light and airy....sold to a West coast collector 6-7 years ago for 5 figures!!

Did some hedging and defoliation to get some buds to pop further back...got plenty of that!!! I'll go in and edit out what I don't need early in the fall.

I'll admit to a bit of neglect, and liking nice healthy leaves.... :D

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Super jealous of how perfect your maple leaves look, most of the time.
Very glad you get the crispy edges and bits too Lol.
But those older pics, damn, everything is perfect. You are certainly doing something right!

Hey @ConorDash !!

Shot from May might look like burnt tips, but Tsumi gaki means something like "rusty nail" or something similar in Japanese. Extended center lobe shows deep red at tip with similar coloring on the outer lobes as well. So not burnt. But come June, most leaves will start to look a bit "dry". In full leaf as pictured? Three to four waterings a day, easy!!:oops:

Top Bottom