Maple leaves drooping and dying

Arlithrien

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Left a tree with the family and they've been watching it. After a healthy leafing out, it's declined in health. The leaves droop then die. They are not crispy but soft to the touch.

I'm pretty sure it's damage from either too much sun or not watering thoroughly enough but just wanted to see if anyone more experienced can diagnose so I don't risk it declining further.

20210421_105519.jpg20210421_105404.jpg20210421_105451.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Soil Pics?

Sorce

Arlithrien

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
And the more shaded areas the leaves are fine

That would mostly rule out too much water, still could be too little.

The winter repotting worries me some, as that whole period through winter is dangerous with no good way to close wounds or repair roots.

That is likely exasterbating this "too much sun" problem.

Sorce

Arlithrien

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
That would mostly rule out too much water, still could be too little.

The winter repotting worries me some, as that whole period through winter is dangerous with no good way to close wounds or repair roots.

That is likely exasterbating this "too much sun" problem.

Sorce
Yeah but it was a garden tree that somebody wanted removed so wasn't much of a choice. At least it was dormant.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Likely evidence of the restricted root function from repotting, combined with a substrate that dries out faster than expected.
Keep out of the wind and direct sun while maintaining proper moisture levels. The tree should improve if the roots were not damaged too much from the dormant repot.
Leafing out normally simply indicates that sufficient reserves were present in the remaining root ball and tree for that to occur. Now the roots need to catch up with the new growth.

Top Bottom