Maple Leaves Drying

AboveBeyond

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I've noticed that many of my Japanese Maples have leaves that are dry up and eventually fall off. Am I over or under watering the trees? The good news is that I see buds after the leaves fall off. The bad news is that some trees have lost a lot of leaves due to this. Thanks!

IMAG1553.jpg IMAG1551.jpg IMAG1552.jpg

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I too seem to have this problem but not to your extent. It seems to me that it always happens in the fall and may be that I am overwatering for the weather conditions. Need some other opinions.

Jamie

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
This is very common. It happens with other deciduous species in nature as well around this time of the year. Besides strong sunlight being a cause, I believe there are other environmental factors such as high temps coupled with low humidity that contribute to leaves shriveling up and falling off. It happens and many times nothing that can be done. I as well have a few maples doing the same. It varies from tree to tree for me. I have observed that young, tender leaves as well as the ones in the interior and on lower branches of a tree get affected the most. I don't think this is a watering problem. Thankfully this does not harm the tree although it looks unsightly.

@AboveBeyond : I think I am seeing some traces of fungus (powdery mildew?) and some dieback on your first and second pic? It's tough to really tell for sure.

Bunjeh

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
This is happening here as well. We had an unusually hot summer and the trees that were left in full sun are exhibiting this condition.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Or full WIND!
For only ONE afternoon while away.
:mad:

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Another thing is the angle of the sun is different. You may find that it may have been in the shade in the summer but due to the lower sun angle of the fall/winter, that the tree sees a longer duration of direct sunlight.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Another thing is the angle of the sun is different. You may find that it may have been in the shade in the summer but due to the lower sun angle of the fall/winter, that the tree sees a longer duration of direct sunlight.
This is a smart man.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
This is a smart man.

I agree. In the past I have found myself moving them to more shade or putting up a shade cloth tent for the last 2 months of the season here. Angle of the sun AND the fact the trees they were growing under were shedding foliage changes things a lot. I also have noted that in our area the winds are far more prominent in the Fall drying them faster or so it seems.

Grimmy

Top Bottom