Maple mame tree struggling

Hawke84

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hi all,
I have a small mame Japanese maple thats really struggling.
it was a slow year for it as it was repotted this year.
something (i assume a snail) looks like it had a go at the bark / cambium and since then its been crisping leaves and dropping branches. The leaves drop colour, look a bit limp and crisp up.

I'm working on the assumption that its just dieback from the cambium being eaten. ive slipped it into a deeper teracotta pot to give the roots some air and space while its in recovery mode.
I wanted to check I wasnt missing anything more serious going on and any tips to prevent further dieback.

SmartSelect_20210927-092658_Gallery.jpg20210927_075151.jpg

20210927_075407.jpg20210927_075157.jpg

20210924_153000.jpg20210927_075157.jpg

Attachments

• 20210927_075201.jpg
    20210927_075201.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 2

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The pics you posted shows the substrate very wet. Overly wet substrates can lead to root rot and fungal issues. Those black branches are key signs for root rot and/or Verticillium (fungal) issues.

There's nothing you can do for the blacken sections at this point. I hope it pulls through for you.

Hawke84

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
The pics you posted shows the substrate very wet. Overly wet substrates can lead to root rot and fungal issues. Those black branches are key signs for root rot and/or Verticillium (fungal) issues.

There's nothing you can do for the blacken sections at this point. I hope it pulls through for you.
thanks, im hoping its not wilt. when i removed the root ball and dropped it into a bigger pot it smelt fine, no bad root smell.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
as pitoon said, i thought about too wet as well, this time of year gotta be careful
looks like rodent damange maybe a mouse gnawed on the trunk

id try to play the water and light well while it is still somewhat active before going to sleep

what size pot is that? the 4.5?

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
thanks, im hoping its not wilt. when i removed the root ball and dropped it into a bigger pot it smelt fine, no bad root smell.
Disregard smell.........what was the condition of the roots when you repotted.

Hawke84

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Disregard smell.........what was the condition of the roots when you repotted.
i didnt touch the root ball it was slipped this weekend so dont know. didnt notice anything to cause concern but couldnt really see.
Earlier in the year roots looked fine and healthy.

I use biologicals - bacillus in the soil, biochar etc so should be kicking off any fungal issues.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
With the sun lower on the horizon and the day shorter JM can go back out in the sun all day. (never let it get bone dry) I would also apply a systemic like Bayer Rose 3-in-1 to cover more bases. I'm assuming you recovered the snail wound?

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Earlier in the year roots looked fine and healthy.
A lot can change in just a couple of weeks in the wrong conditions.......I would check the roots.

If you use any tools on that tree be sure you sterilize the tools before putting them away to prevent any spread if there's a fungal issue.

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I think it is ready to go to the other side. Put it in a shady spot and watch the water is all you can do but I give it 10% or less of survival here. You will know in a couple weeks.

Hawke84

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I think it is ready to go to the other side. Put it in a shady spot and watch the water is all you can do but I give it 10% or less of survival here. You will know in a couple weeks.
im worried you are right. one saving point is it has set buds for next year on some branches so might be hope yet.
@Forsoothe! yes wound recovered.

@Pitoon are you suggesting removing from the pot and looking a bit more at the roots? im really twitchy about playing with roots when its struggling anyway

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
English sun is not Texas sun. The sun is the giver of life and almost any plant in trouble needs more, not less sun. OP is north of Winnipeg!

Last edited:

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
@Pitoon are you suggesting removing from the pot and looking a bit more at the roots? im really twitchy about playing with roots when its struggling anyway
The only way to confirm is to inspect the roots. The discussion is just speculation at this point........you need confirmation.

Top Bottom