Maple Seeds

Ininaatigoons

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
How long does it take for an A.P. cultivar graft to produce seeds? I have only had mine for a couple years. The oldest is on it's 3rd year and still no seeds. Eventually I will take cuttings and airlayer, but they have many years before that.

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Depends on the cultivar, size, age etc.
Ive seen seeds on a 60cm Osakasuki, less than 5 years old I would guess
Probably 90% chance most cultivars will produce seeds at 2,5m + and maybe 8years +
Just my estimation

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
This is like how long is a piece of string. Much depends on conditions the tree is growing in. Potted trees take forever, probably because conditions are not ideal in pots. Trees in poor soil or adverse conditions take longer than those under ideal conditions. Maples seem to need to grow large or old enough to be mature for flowering. If I had to guess I'd say 3-5 years to flowering.

Just remember that seeds from most JM cultivars will germinate and grow but there's usually a lot of variability in the seedlings. Because the seeds are a product of sexual reproduction none will have exactly the same genes as the parent cv which means that, even if some look outwardly similar, there's still differences so no seedling can be given the parent's name.
Cuttings and layers are asexual so the plants will be clones and therefore exactly the same as the original.

Seedlings from weeping JM cultivars are notorious for lack of vitality. Most of the weeping seedlings I've grown die in the first summer. Only a very few survive the winter. I had one that lived about 8 years but a friend has a group of weeping seedlings that are healthy after nearly 15 years.

Ininaatigoons

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Everyone interested in seed should know that they are not true to parent. My interest in seed is more about free practice, possibly more vigor, and filling my benches. I know, I know... If I want more vigor stick with A.P. Species. I do have a couple going, but variety is the spice of life!

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Everyone interested in seed should know that they are not true to parent. My interest in seed is more about free practice, possibly more vigor, and filling my benches. I know, I know... If I want more vigor stick with A.P. Species. I do have a couple going, but variety is the spice of life!

Are you in the U.S.? International Bonsai sells seedling bundles of various species from January to March each year. Also, Evergreen Gardenworks sells a bunch of different varietes of maples besides lots of different species.

You could fill up those benches faster if you'd like.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How long does it take for an A.P. cultivar graft to produce seeds?
I have some that are 5 to 10 years old that have never produced a seed. I have others that have. The picture following is a graft I bought last fall. It is Red Spider and the seeds look healthy.
IMG_6571.JPG

Ininaatigoons

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Are you in the U.S.? International Bonsai sells seedling bundles of various species from January to March each year. Also, Evergreen Gardenworks sells a bunch of different varietes of maples besides lots of different species.

You could fill up those benches faster if you'd like.
I have the list of Evergreengardenworks cuttings, many trees from Jens Maple Farm Trees, a half dozen or so from MrMaple. Still I need more to keep occupied while these baby trees grow into trees

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have the list of Evergreengardenworks cuttings, many trees from Jens Maple Farm Trees, a half dozen or so from MrMaple. Still I need more to keep occupied while these baby trees grow into trees

Then you need to buy some trees that are further along in development. Seeds won't keep you busy while they grow.

Get different kinds of trees. JBP need work in late June - early July. Tropical trees need work in July. They also need protection in the house during winter so makw sure yiu have the space and supplemental lighting for that. Lots of stuff can be worked in May and June. August is a slower month due to the heat. Just feed and water. September starts wiring season for pines and Junipers. That work can be done September to February. Maples and other deciduous need pruning and wiring in Jan-March until buds swell.

Note: the timing of above will depend on your location.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Minneapolis
I was asking because I've got a good JM source for you, particularly if you're used to Mr. Maple.

Send Josue an email at jgsjapanesemaples@gmail.com. He's got a lot of stock right now. You can see some of his stuff at J&G's Japanese Maples on Facebook. I just bought six trees from him two days ago. He's local but ships. He sells on occasion on eBay and Facebook. Tell him you heard about his nursery here :)

He also has some BIG trees. Am going back up over next weekend to take photos and write up a review for the web site.

Last edited:
Top Bottom