Maple seeds

remist17

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I have some maple seeds that I am not sure how to plant. Can anyone give me some pointers?
I am not sure if I should put the seeds out now in the outside box or start in the house? Should it be starting mix with sand or regular standard bosai soil?

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
Store your seeds in the refrigerator in slightly damp perlite or in slightly damp paper towels until early nest spring. When you take tem out of the fridge to plant they should have sprouted a small whte root. Plant them in flats and watch them grow. This is what I do and it will give you close to 100% germination if your seeds are viable.
Paul

alonsou

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
here's an article about general propagation by seed but highlights some very important steps that you should follow.
Here's another article dedicated to Japanese maples seed propagation

Also remember that growing from seed takes a very long time, just keep that in mind. :D

Good luck!

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
REMIST17, I’m not sure what your area is like but the local maple seeds here on the PNW aren't fully developed yet and won’t be until latter this fall.
I've never tried storing them (refrigerator) instead I just put them into a grow bed (garden bed) add a little soil over them and that’s it.
Good Luck.
Cheers G

remist17

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
i was figuring they would not be developed yet. A neighbor thinking he was helpfull gave me all the seeds from his maple. about 10...

i will see what happens

Top Bottom