Maple status and leaf problems

Fred1991

Yamadori
Reaction score
Hi all! I’m quite green to bonsai and to the forum but super excited to be part of the community! I’ve got a maple that I’ve been working on for about 4 months. It definitely ain’t the best looking tree but I’m having lots of fun learning from it. First picture is how it looked when I got it second pictures is how it looks now after the work I’ve done on it so far. I’ve been working toward building a better taper and I’m also gonna start working on the nebari growing some new surface roots. I’ve been considering air layering the tree to get the lowest branch closer to soil too but haven’t made the decision to actually do this just yet or wether I should use it as a learning tree. Lastly I seem to have a problem with the leaves. They never seem to look very healthy and I can’t tell why. But maybe I’m being overprotective? Any notes, thoughts and other sort of help is super appreciated thanks in advance 🙏

Fred

Attachments

• D1EE84B6-C4A9-4955-AA3D-D07973CF81B0.jpeg
    D1EE84B6-C4A9-4955-AA3D-D07973CF81B0.jpeg
    230 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0435.jpg
    IMG_0435.jpg
    236 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_5186.JPG
    IMG_5186.JPG
    160.8 KB · Views: 52

Fred1991

Yamadori
Reaction score
Hi all! I’m quite green to bonsai and to the forum but super excited to be part of the community! I’ve got a maple that I’ve been working on for about 4 months. It definitely ain’t the best looking tree but I’m having lots of fun learning from it. First picture is how it looked when I got it second pictures is how it looks now after the work I’ve done on it so far. I’ve been working toward building a better taper and I’m also gonna start working on the nebari growing some new surface roots. I’ve been considering air layering the tree to get the lowest branch closer to soil too but haven’t made the decision to actually do this just yet or wether I should use it as a learning tree. Lastly I seem to have a problem with the leaves. They never seem to look very healthy and I can’t tell why. But maybe I’m being overprotective? Any notes, thoughts and other sort of help is super appreciated thanks in advance 🙏

Fred

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
If you click on your Icon in the upper right-hand corner and add your location, you'll get more customized advice.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
It's got a movement.

Maybe the first branch on the right could be shortened. the top too could pehaps be reduced...

To me a very good starter tree.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Where are you located? Its not that unusual for the leaves to get a little funky in the heat of summer. There may be minor insect munching going on.
They tree looks pretty healthy and it look like it has a lot of potential. I would be inclined not to work on it any more this year and just work on gaining strength for next year. Study other maples over the winter and take a good look at it when its bare.

Fred1991

Yamadori
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for your answers guys!

It's got a movement.

Maybe the first branch on the right could be shortened. the top too could pehaps be reduced...

To me a very good starter tree.

Thank you Alain! Yes I agree i've got a shoot further back on the branch that i'm waiting for to get strong enough to wire, so I can also cut the tip off branch so i can get a better taper of branch, and hopefully get some back budding so i can make it shorter!

Where are you located? Its not that unusual for the leaves to get a little funky in the heat of summer. There may be minor insect munching going on.
They tree looks pretty healthy and it look like it has a lot of potential. I would be inclined not to work on it any more this year and just work on gaining strength for next year. Study other maples over the winter and take a good look at it when its bare.

I'm in london. I think you are right about not working on it anymore. I did a partial defolation a few months ago and i cut of a few branches to work on the taper. And after it getting a little dry maybe it needs a change to get back it vigour. Should i be fertilizing still? i use a natural release fertilzer the biogold brand.

Attachments

• IMG_1469.JPG
    IMG_1469.JPG
    190.6 KB · Views: 24

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am continuing to fertilize regularly but not heavily. I am using only fish emulsion and kelp. I know bio gold is supposed to be great stuff but it just isn't part of my regimen. Being organic I would continue.

Top Bottom